Cloudy lens on T&C

The headlight lenses on my '97 T&C seem to be cloudy (or filmy) from the inside. I've cleaned the outside best I can, but it didn't much improve things. Is that a sealed unit so that it's not possible to get to the back side of the lens? And am I imagining this? (:>)

--Richard

Reply to
Richard Huggins

Swish some distilled water around inside the housing. If that doesn't do it you're probably looking at new lenses.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

If you really want to do some work...

Wet sand the lens w/ 1500. Then using finer compounds and a buffer, keep polishing until it is crystal clear. The fog is external. The polishing supplies (and advise) can be obtained at Body Shop suppliers, Pro-paint suppliers.

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr

Here's hoping he gets better advice at those places than you gave him. He said the clouding was on the inside, and it's entirely likely he's correct. Lenses can cloud on the outside, too, but I'm not sure what evidence you have that you're right and he's wrong. Furthermore, your suggested procedure will scrub the hardcoat right off the front face of any plastic headlamp lens, greatly hastening its further deterioration.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

That's entirely possible.

If the outside is indeed cloudy (it'll have a yellowish/brownish/white appearance if so), you have to proceed very carefully. It's not plain polycarbonate; it's got a hardcoat applied to proof it against UV (sun) and abrasion damage. The hardcoats vary widely in their effectiveness and durability, but if you scrub them off with agressive or repeated abrasive treatments, the lenses will quickly get much worse. Use a good grade of car polish -- I've had fine results with blue-label TR3 from the parts store -- and carefully polish the lenses. Others have tried ordinary toothpaste with success. Just don't overdo it.

You cannot remove the lens and clean it separately, no.

Probably not. There are several reasons why your headlamps might have a cloudy appearance from the inside. One of the most common is "gassing", where plastic and elastomeric materials in the headlamp and bulb offgas and deposit a film on the lens and reflector. Same process by which the inside of your windshield grows filmy.

To degas the headlamps, you'll have to remove them from the vehicle. Take them to the kitchen sink and clean the exterior (including the back surfaces) of the lamps to remove excess dirt and grime before removing the bulbs.

Remove the headlamp and park/turn bulbs. Place one or two drops of ordinary dishwashing liquid (Joy, Dawn, Palmolive -- make sure it is the type you can see through, not the "lotion" or "hand conditioning" type!) in each headlamp, and then pour in hot-but-not-boiling distilled water. Vigorously slosh the headlamps around over the sink. Repeat the procedure once more with one drop of soap, then follow up with hot distilled water rinses until all traces of suds are gone.

Hold the headlamp (one at a time) with the lens facing you, and swing the lamp from over your head down to your knee level, to force water out through the bulb holes. Once you've shaken out all the water you can, set the lamps in a warm, dry location, bulb holes down, and allow them to dry completely before reinstalling them. If you cannot find a naturally warm and dry location, you can use your kitchen oven if it is electric. Simply put the headlamps on the rack, bulb holes down. Close the oven door and turn the oven control to 300 degrees for sixty seconds, then turn the oven off and leave it off and closed until the headlamps are dry.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Clouded leases is a result of poor maintenance. They can be cleared using a produce that is designed to clean plastics. One can be purchased at a motorcycle store or part store. After you have them cleared be sure to use a polymer polish like NuFinish to keep them clear.

mike hunt

Richard Hugg>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I've seen several people here trying to fix these "fogged" headlamps. Personally I don't have all day to try and polish a lenses with questionable results and questionable longevity.

Replace the headlamp! Throw that old on as far as you can and get on with it. Aftermarket replacements are cheap and who cares how long they last, you can always replace the headlamp again down the road if need be.

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. (IMHO)

Reply to
noone

I'd like to thank all those who gave me a variety of very interesting ideas on what this is and how to fix it. I will review and work through them. The net effect of the present situation is a lessening of the brightness of the lights, and it seems the older I get the more important that is .... hmmm... (:>)

Richard Huggins

Reply to
Richard Huggins