The rise and rise of diesel

Don't get me wrong- they both smell like DIESEL exhaust, and on that point I agree with Dan. But there is a sort of "added stench" to Detroit Diesel 2-stroke exhaust :-p

I agree it will be "less intense." But a modern 24-valve Cummins in a Dodge Ram is orders of magnitude less intense than the stink of a 1990 Mercedes, but its still instantly recognizable as "diesel" and a lot of people find that smell unpleasant, no matter how faint.

I disagree that lead compounds in exhaust gasses are odorless. I can INSTANTLY tell when a car at a racetrack is running either leaded racing fuel or aviation fuel- its a characteristic "sweet" (for lack of a better term- its certainly not 'sugary') smell. Or go to an air-show and smell the exhaust from a B-17 or P-51, its the same smell only even stronger. And my 60s cars that I drive routinely don't have a strong exhaust odor on today's unleaded fuel, except for the 440 Magnum when its cold because the fairly large cam with a rich mixture gives an unburned fuel smell for a few minutes until its fully warm.

Reply to
Steve

As did Mercedes diesels of the same vintage. Actually, the Olds was probably less smoky when brand new.

Horse apples. I can smell a TDI ahead of me in traffic VERY easily. Its not a choking fog like an old Mercedes or Oldsmobile or (worst of all) Isuzu truck, but it is VERY noticeable, and is the very same "diesel smell" except less concentrated. In fact, its VERY comparable to being behind a late-model Ram with the 24-valve Cummins.

Reply to
Steve

Yes, I can detect and prefer the smell of 100LL over car gas, but any idea what all components in the exhaust are the main contributors to odor? I haven't been able to find anything definitive as yet. Whatever it is, it is definitely affected by the combination of unleaded gas, the catalytic convertor and modern engine controls.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The sulfur in diesel fuel has to go somewhere. That should be obvious enough, if anything is ever obvious on Usenet. As they make lower sulfur fuel, it'll stink less. You can count on it.

Reply to
Joe