Thermostat -- Caravan

Need new thermostat for 86 caravan 2.6 L Mitz. About 50Kmiles on the motor. New England. They come in different temp ranges 160, 180, 195 degrees -- what is the best one to get ? TIA Bob Caravan/Voyager

Reply to
BeeP

I have had two of these and always ran the 180 degree. This was in upstate New York and provided plenty of heat in the bitter cold winter driving.

Reply to
PC Medic

195 is the correct rating. A colder thermostat will increase emissions, hasten oil contamination and reduce fuel economy.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Both of our early Caravans (86 & 87) came with and always replaced with 180 and never had any problems. In fact the dealer one time when questioned about a little better heat if I switched to a 195 recommended against it in the 2.6 Mitsubishi's due to their head warping problems (something else I personally never had issue with). Never had problem with oil contamination or fuel economy. Can't speak on emissions as at the time was in upstate NY where testing is not required.

Reply to
PC Medic

emissions,

Reply to
BeeP

Both.

No, and I may have been incorrect, but you need to check FACTORY literature rather than depending on the error-riddled catalogues at Autobone.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

generally

Reply to