Thermostat? Golf Mk4 TDI

Hi all,

2 weeks ago I noticed my outside temperature sensor was dangling loose, and I relocated it, as far as I'm aware its working fine.

Now that may have nothing to do with my problem, but I thought I should mention it, because the next day, my engine temp indicator (on the dashboard) didn't rise to the normal vertical position but only got to about 65 degrees. Since then its been fine though, absolutely vertical - until today, when on the way home from work (over 30 miles) it got to vertical and then seemed to fall back to 65 degrees (about 1 and a half divisions back from vertical) and stay there.

I wondered if this might be my thermostat coming to the end of its life?

If it is, I think it might be a bit involved for my limited skills, what sort of damage am I looking at from a garage?

Or is it something else?

Thanks for any thoughts.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

A common failure on these is the coolant temperature sender unit, and more often than not they give iffy readings / work intermittently rather than failing completely.

I've had to replace the one on my Passat and the one on the Mk4 Golf I had whilst this was off the road.

They're not dear from the likes of GSF or Euro Car Parts, and you don't even need any tools to change it as they're retained by a plastic clip.

One thing to bear in mind if it is this, is it kicks in a fault code on the car, so if you've got access to VAG-COM, it's worth using this to clear it as the Passat at least seemed to run a bit better once this code had been cleared.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

That or the coolant temperature sender

Well the Cts needs a big socket, the thermostat needs a small one.

If you're going to keep it for more than 2 ears then Vag-com is your friend & will tell you.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It didn't on my Passat or the Golf I did one on...

Reply to
JackH

Hmmmm.... well, its intermittent, but when it happens it does the same thing, the indicator goes to the usual position, straight up, then fairly quickly drops down to an angle of about 65 degrees or so - and stays there. Next time I drive the car it is normally fine.

Ah, now that sounds like my kind of job.

Prices from my VW dealer:

a tad under 30 for either the thermostat, or the coolant temp sender.

Fitted, and after a "free" VAG com (if you then get the work done) they want 90 quid for the thermostat or 60 for the sender.

Thanks.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

On 27-Mar-09 02:32:07, Duncan Wood said

Which is exactly what it turned out to be. Sorted now. Thanks for the help guys.