Used Caravan warranties

I began looking at used Grand Caravans recently (2000 and later). Learned about the tranny concerns from the group (thanks for the heads up) and wonder about warranty transfers. One used car dealer claims the 7 yr/ 70K powertrain warranty does not transfer. Of course he offered to sell me an extension of the 3 yr/36K warranty. Whats the real scoop? Feel free to offer other advise about this vehicle.

Thanks

Reply to
Saychris2

jdoe

The tranny problems are way overblown so take what you read here with a grain of salt. Independent sources of data such as Consumer Reports (although take them with a grain of salt also) don't report any unusual failure rates with Chrysler vans and believe me, if there were problems, CR subscribers would be screaming bloody murder as they do about every little thing that goes wrong with an American car.

When I bought my 2003 this past summer, I was told that the 7/70 warranty wasn't automatically transferable until the 2003 models. I didn't ask if it could be transferred for a fee or not at all on prior yeras, as I was only looking at 2003 models. I paid $500 or so for an extended warranty on my 96 minivan based on all of the hype about Chrysler transmissions. It was a complete waste of money. My 96 now has 146,000 miles and the transmission hasn't hiccuped once.

I now own two minivans, so that tells you what I think about them. I think they are very practical vehicles for a family. Not the most fun thing to drive, but if you need to haul lots of people and stuff frequently, they are hard to beat. I get 22-24 MPG which is pretty good a vehicle this large and versatile. Biggest problems I've had have been electrical - clockspring, various switches, starter, etc.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Reply to
jdoe

The warranty transfer question is a tricky one - there are so many different scenarios.

If the vehicle originally had a 7/100, then the warranty cannot be transferred unless the original owner had a DaimlerChrysler Service Contract. If the original owner purchased a DCSC, then transferring the DCSC also transfers the 7/100.

If the vehicle is an '02 or an '03 with a 7/70, then the warranty stays with the vehicle for life - no transfer fee and no limits on the number of owners.

If the vehicle is an '04, then it most likely has a 7/70 that can only be transferred once with a $150 fee.

To add to the confusion, there are some '04s that have the 7/70 for life coverage (early build units), and there are some '04s that never had the

7/70 when they left the factory. (Rental units to the Fleets)

Bottom line, when you find a vehicle that you're interest in, ask your local dealer to run a VIP on DealerConnect - that's the only way to know for certain what type of coverage the vehicle has and whether it is transferrable.

Final thought, if you do elect to extend your coverage with a Service Contract, make sure that you get one that is Factory Backed.

Good luck with your vehicle search.

SBH

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Scott B. Hogle

I have a 94 GC with the 3.3 v6. I get about 20 city, and 25 highway. I agree with the other poster, not bad considering size and varsaility. :)

Reply to
cloaked

Well, I live in a rural area so my driving is probably 80% highway and

20% in town. I won't say city as the three closest towns have either no stoplights or one! Also, my wife and I drive fairly conservatively. We seldom get less than 22, and that is mainly in the winter when cold. In the summer, 23 is typical with an occasional 24. On the highway on a trip, we get 24-25. I got a low this winter of 18 on my old minivan, but that was with temps as low as -20F.

If your minivan is getting 16 in the same type of driving as your Burban is getting 14, then I'd say you've got something wrong with your minivan. My K1500 pickup gets 16 in the same type of driving as my minivan gets 22-24.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

You should do better than that! I get worst 18, average 20-21 around town and

25 or so on the road. My winner was 28 on a trip to Myrtle Beach about 5 years ago. 1997 Grand with the 3.3 V6.
Reply to
James C. Reeves

Thanks for the advice. I will request an "autocheck.com" review. Another reply suggested that a "DealerConnect" check will verify all warranties still good for a particular Caravan.

Reply to
Saychris2

I still have '92 GV 3.3l and it gets about 23 mpg on highway trips. Had a new transmission because of having the wrong tranny fluid I think. Great vehicle though. I just tried out my newer '97 GV 3.8l. It got between 26-28 mpg on a 1400 mile trip. It is a quieter and softer ride than the '92. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Allemann

I don't know how you people get mileage like this. Do you drive over 50? At the VERY best on any 3.3 or 3.8 van I've had I've never seen better than a

Reply to
jdoe

I generally run 70 on the interstates and get 25 MPG give or take depending on load, wind, weather, etc.

Around home I drive 55-60 and get 23-24 for typical trips that are mostly highway with some in-town driving. Don't really have any cities in the sticks where I live! I also know that the throttle is a continuously variable device and not a two position switch. :-) I never tow with either of my vans, and I'm sure that would drop the mileage dramatically. I have a K1500 for towing. It doesn't get 20+ MPG. :-(

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Keep in mind that mileage varies in different areas of the country.

Mileage is better in areas that they don't add alcohol to the fuel during the winter. (or add less of it) Alcohol is added in some areas as an anti-smog device also it keeps fuel lines from freezing.

Mileage is slightly better at sea level elevation rather than high elevation, as more oxygen is in the cylinder due to higher air pressure.

Mileage is better in temperate or cold climates as the A/C isn't switched on.

It's also better during the day since your not running headlights which put a load on the alternator.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt