What ARE we going to do, Chrysler?

Other than Liberties, I've not run across more than a handful of used Jeeps that were never driven off-road. I guess they are the exception to the statistic. Most older ones showed significant off-road abuse.

Try it yourself - go and try to find a 5-8 year old Jeep that doesn't have dings in the skidplates.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

You, Lloyd, have just posted, and proven, what I have said on more than one occasion. You have spent too much time in academia and too little time in the real world. As a result you can only base what you say on data instead of what really happens on a day-today basis. Data and statistics can, and usually are, skewed to provide the outcome desired by the person or organization compiling such.

Reply to
RPhillips47

I did as you suggested and entered my zip code (Stevenson Ranch, CA). I was presented with 13 "styles" for 2004 Ford Explorer and 8 "styles for 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. What have you been smokin' in the Detroit area to get 66 for the Explorer. From what I saw on CarsDirect, they were only offering like vehicles (4 door SUV). Now if you want to add in Explorer Sport and Sport Trak then, yes, you may get up to 66 "styles" but those latter cannot be figured in to your reply.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Ya know, I hear we've got some pretty good stuff to smoke here, but I never thought it would be better than what they have in CA!

You're limited to CA-emissions certified vehicles. Try 48126 for the zip (Dearborn, home of FOMOCO).

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Sorry - the stuff you have back there MUST be way better. I did exactly as you say with zip code "48126" and came us with the same 13 "styles" offered out here. FYI - most "CA-emissions certified vehicles" are the same as in the rest of the country these days.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Weird. I haven't looked since I posted, but maybe what they're offering changed in the past few days.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

The folks who speculate about this (often in Forbes or Fortune) have been predicting Jeep would be sold to someone, Dodge trucks to another, and the car business sold for $1 to anyone who wants it (like BMW did with Rover cars).

The question, though, is who would want or need another line of SUVs? Ford already has Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, Volvo, and Land Rover SUVs; GM has Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Isuzu, Suzuki, and Subaru SUVs. It would seem the buyer would most likely be (gasp!) Japanese!

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Why are you so sure? I bet there are rumblings within the Daimler-Benz bit to get rid of the Chrysler bit.

So far the merger/takeover does not appear to be a great success for Mercedes. It's true that car sales tripled overnight, but at what cost to the company? Both companies? (i.e. Daimler-Benz and Chrysler) From what I have picked up from this group, a number of good designers have left Chrysler, and I am not sure the gap can easily be plugged?

Again, from what I seem to pick up here, the Chrysler division can't decide to whom it is selling. To the 'masses' with relatively inexpensive cars, or to the slightly better off with 'premium' cars? Moves upmarket can work, Audi being a good example, but the stakes seem to be far greater with Chrysler, given the relatively large number of cars sold. By how much do you have to raise the price and profit margin per car to compensate for loss of, say, a relatively small 15% in volume?

And I gather there is a ferocious price war raging in the US, at least among the Big Three...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Although it's not inconceivable that the Daimler guys might divest themselves of the Chrysler guys, I doubt that the Chrysler guys would be able to hold on to all parts of the company in the end. In other words, Chrysler might get separated from Dodge and Jeep, etc.

I guess what I was trying to say is that a return to the pre-merger status quo seems highly unlikely.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

If the car line ever goes on the block for a buck, I'll buy it.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Careful, careful...you never know what debt you take on...

It's what the buyout group Phoenix did with Rover when sold by BMW for a buck {or ten pounds sterling (about USD 15), to be precise}.

Sales continue to plunge and the profits..?... there aren't any but cash flow is going on fat packages for the top managers.

However, Geoff, if you are a silver-tongued director you will do well.

:-)) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling