What's wrong with my PT Cruiser??

I just bought it, it's a cherry 2001 with 25,000 miles on it. I filled the gas tank up after driving about 125 miles of suburban driving (just north of Pittsburgh, PA) and then about 60 miles of I-79 driving. It took

11.5 gallons to fill it up after driving 185 miles. 16 miles to the gallon!!!!!??? The original window sticker lists 20 mpg City, 25 mpg Highway. I realize this isn't guaranteed, but combined City/Highway driving results in four miles less to the gallon than I should be getting in the city???? Something has to be wrong with it.
Reply to
TOM KAN PA

yep the pt cruiser is a gas guzzler, weighs allot and has a week motor. enjoy.

Punch

Reply to
Punch

You cannot reliably calculate gas mileage on the basis of one tankful. Keep a book and figure the average over 5 tank fulls. If the mileage isn't better than 16 after that, start looking for the problem - although the problem might be your driving style.

Ed

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Especially if you don't know that it was full to start with!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I agree with that. The PT Cruiser "learns" your driving style over a number of starts. Drive judiciously on moderate length, speed trips and your mileage should improve. Mine did. - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Are the tires properly inflated? (check when they are cold).

Air filter- 2001, might be time for a swap.

Was the a/c on (or the defroster which will run the a/c)??

Is there ANY chance that the emerg. brake was used, and is now not fully returned to running mode??

Some have mentioned a little better economy with synthetic oil, not sure on that one though.

You should get close to 300 miles to the tank. (500 kms here)

PT_Sean

____Reply Separator_____

That means I had to put 115 miles on the last 1/4 tank.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I have the 2003 PT Turbo GT and get 450 KM, and thats my everyday driving style, pushing it i get 350km per tank.

Punch

Reply to
Punch

You SHOULD get alot better mileage then that. But remember that the PT is very heavy and shaped like a brick ( wind resistance). If you are like me, when I get a different car, I am ALWAYS ON THE GO PEDAL to see what it will do. Possibly your driving habits are the results. Yes, you need to AVERAGE out your mileage by doing ATLEAST 5 fuel refills and keep track of mileage and amount of fuel used. THEN figure your mileage. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Might be. The Cruiser doesn't have the best mpg because it has the aerodynamics of a tombstone. Add in a puffy automatic transmission with an anemic 4-cylinder and you're cruising down low-mileage city.

Lose the back seats, go with the 5-speed, and shed all the weight you can, and you'll see a dramatic increase in gas mileage, not to mention performance. That auto-trans in the Cruiser is pure crap, BTW, and always has been.

No power, no way, with the standard engine and an auto. The cruiser rips with a manual and sits with an auto.

It's a little surprising that they can charge extra for less power, and even more surprising that people still go for it, but no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer.

Reply to
doc

Probably You experience what in Germany is called "the learning tank gauge" (which does nothing more than indicating that the gas tank is still there). I can drive whatever style, but after 200 miles I get the first alarm (1/4 supposedly left) and then the needle drops within miles to zero.

Reply to
Hans Mücke