LHS Climate Control

Hello all,

The climate control has suddenly stopped working in my 96 Chrysler LHS. Haven't had a problem with it before, but today when my wife started the car, the climate control display doesn't illuminate, none of the buttons work, and it is stuck on heat. Can't turn off the heat (unless I pull the fuse). Had no previous problems with the climate control, it functioned fine, even earlier today.

Any ideas about what the cause of this problem (and remedy) is? Where I should begin in diagnosis? Solutions?

Thanks!

Reply to
BeastFish

Just posted this yesterday. You might want to learn to search

the groups page:

I found this for a 97 searching google

Press and hold the Floor + MIX (Floor/Defrost) + Defrost buttons until the display begins to flash. The HVAC doors will begin to re-calibrate themselves. After a minute or so the flashing will stop. If there are no fault codes the system will return to the previous temperature seting, otherwise the first fault code will be displayed. Press the Panel button to get other fault codes.

This for a 94: do this set the control to 75 degrees. To diagnostic mode press and hold the floor, mix and defrost buttons at the same time. The ATC head display will begin to blink, when it blinks release the three buttons. Once the control head enters diagnostic mode, the display on the control head will continue to blink. This occurs until it completes its tests and calibrations. It goes crazy so don't worry, all the vents and heat and ac go nuts during this. The dispaly will read out and trouble codes if there are none the system will return to normal operation. here are the codes:

23 ATC Blend Door Feedback Failure 24 ATC Mode Door Feedback Failure 25 Ambient Sensor 26 ATC In-Car Sensor 27 Sun Sensor Failure 31 ATC Recirculation Door Stall Failure 32 ATC Blend Door Stall Failure 33 ATC Mode Door Stall Failure 34 Engine Temperature Message not Received 35 Evaporator Sensor Failure 36 ATC Head Communication Failure

Reply to
Art

illuminated

Reply to
Art

Some other odd things I just noticed this morning, things that surfaced with the climate control issue... The ABS light is now persistently illuminated and the car steers stiffer (power steering).

Reply to
BeastFish

Before taking it apart, check all the grounds on the car for corrosion and check your battery too. A weak battery can screw up the electronics on the car.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for the reply. The Floor+Mix+Defrost worked (and the ABS/steering issue too), but the climate control flaked out again soon after. I Googled and found a post about removing the unit and checking the solder joints. Looks like that's what I need to try next. Again, thanks for your reply.

Reply to
BeastFish

i am currently having the same prob with my 94 lhs the display isnt working and the he blows consistantly. it drives me nuts i have been searchin for a month for info on this with no luck. so if you happen to run into the prob drop me a line if possible

Reply to
lucky00765

Remove control from vehicle. Take it apart and check for loose solder joints where main board to vehicle wiring connectors are soldered.

Reply to
SamMan