immobilised Xantia :-(

morning all ...

I went out this morning to check the ABS sensors etc (Xantia ABS query ...)

First thing I noticed was a flat rear tyre - I had to start the engine to pump up the suspension to get the jack under - changed the wheel etc - no problem ...

but now the engine will not start again!? my wife has now mentioned seeing a new "key symbol" light on the dash the t'other day so I'm thinking Immobiliser ? And the car is most definately immobilised and we are failing to get out to Leonardslee Gardens for our family day out ... grrrr ....

any thoughts on how to immobilise the immobiliser?

(I've currently got the battery disconnected hoping that 30min lack of voltage will make it think again !)

Steve

Reply to
drd

Have you got another key ?

If the key symbol is lit up, this usually means that the transponder thingy in the key is not registering with the car.

The battery dissconection trick may work.

Does the remote locking work ? if yes try locking and unlocking a few times.

As far as I know, the only chance is a tow to a Citroen dealer for reprograme.

A mate of mine had this happen with a Fiat van, he called the RAC to tow it to fiat and the RAC guy had a book of ways to sort out all different cars with this problem, so if you are a member of the AA, or RAC, give them a call now, they might get you out of the poo.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

The RAC chap turned up in 10mins and had it started in 2mins ...

the fuel lift pump is on the way out ...

is this a tank out job or what ? ('99 Xantia Hdi estate )

cheers

Steve

Reply to
drd

Lift up the back seats and all will be revealed.

There are 2 x plastic covers (circles) under 1 is the fuel gauge and under the other is the lift pump.

If it fails again before you fix it, sometimes lifting the back seat and banging it with your hand will make it work.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

I was reading , made by the entity known as Slim, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

I like high-tech solutions like this.

Reply to
2Rowdy

The RAC man got it going with a small copper mallet applied to the underside of the tank.

I'm keeping a nylon mallet in the car ... a tap on the base of the tank seems to get it going - I've had to use it three times today to get it started! unfortunately it's not a one man (or woman) job

so - new pump is required on Tuesday ...

fanks all

drd

EuroCar Parts seem to want about £142 for an "electric fuel pump" ... does this sound right or does anyone have a source for cheaper options?

What is it that "goes" in these pumps anyway ? Are they stripable and fixable?

drd

Are you sure it is/was the pump? I had intermittent problems much as you describe. Replaced the pump and problem continued. It was actually the £3 relay!

Reliable pump now available for sensible offer!

Cheers Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Gardner

hmmm ... hitting the underneath of the tank with a nylon mallet definately gets it started!

where is the relay located - on the pump or in the fuse tray or elsewhere?

Gerald Gardner wrote:

Reply to
drd

This is a common problem and belting either the underside of the tank or the top of the pump will normally get it working, so I dont think it will be a relay problem.

I have heard that you can remove, strip and clean the pump as it is gunging up that can cause the troubles.

Got to be worth a try, I would as you have nuffin to loose.

Try Peugeot for a new one, a Citroen dealer I knew used to buy them in from Peugeot cheaper than he could get them direct from Citroen, but the part is the same and in the same box, crazy !! He used to sell them to me for about =A395 + vat, but this was a few years back.

Or you could allways try M&C Lockwood in Bradford, better than GSF they deal with mail order on Citroen bits 01274 640590

Regards Slim.

Reply to
Slim

I have heard that you can remove, strip and clean the pump as it is gunging up that can cause the troubles.

Got to be worth a try, I would as you have nuffin to loose.

Try Peugeot for a new one, a Citroen dealer I knew used to buy them in from Peugeot cheaper than he could get them direct from Citroen, but the part is the same and in the same box, crazy !! He used to sell them to me for about £95 + vat, but this was a few years back.

Or you could allways try M&C Lockwood in Bradford, better than GSF they deal with mail order on Citroen bits 01274 640590

Regards Slim. GSF list the Xsantia pump at £135, but list the 306 lift pump (+ sender) at £68

Reply to
Brian

Gerald,

Well - the pump is out.

It's a combined unit incorporating the level sensor - the whole thing does not lend itself to disassembly (lots of injection moulded plastic and clip-together bits ... not a screw in sight!) and the pump is a sealed unit. Applying 12v to the pump on the bench got a brief response but then nothing (I hope I didn't blow it up?) it now refuses to do anything on the car (I may well have blown it up ...).

Having just checked the relay output it seems to give around 10v for around

5secs (so I probably did finally kill it with the 12V ...) .

So, is your pump a:

- Bosch ,0 580 303, 9637812280 and do you live anywhere near Brighton?

Steve

Gerald Gardner wrote:

Reply to
drd

Hi Steve

In addition to personal reply please note I made a mistake last night. The pump connections are the inner pair. The outer pair are the fuel level sensors. The terminal voltage at the pump should be 12-13.8V as there is nothing significant between battery and pump except the relay contacts. The pump is not continuously powered when the car is stationary - I never checked when car was running.

12V should not kill it - Have you tried jetting water through it to try and clear any blockage?

Cheers Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Gardner

Hi Gerald,

Contrary to my earlier post the unit DOES disassemble with judicious use of small screw drivers etc ..

I've got the pump out - the filter was very clean, I've manually turned the shaft which wasn't stuck, no sign of cr&p in the works, blown it all through with an air line and it's still not responding to a 12V battery charger - I think it's really kn&ckered!

can you help with a new pump?

Gerald Gardner wrote:

Reply to
drd

Did you get my earlier email re phone call? Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Gardner

all sorted ... second hand pump from local breaker for £70 - fitted in 5mins and started first time.

thanks to all for your words of wisdom and encouragement

(right then, next get the flat tyre fixed and then back to the failed ABS system ...)

Brgds

Steve

Brian wrote:

Reply to
drd

Blimey! Shades of the MGB with SU pump - a mate of mine used to keep a mallet in the footwell of his BGT to clout the fuel pump (under the rear wheel arch) when the contacts seized - a sure cure. In London it served a secondary duty as an intimidator of lane-stealing black-cabs - you just pick it up and wave it out of the window a bit......

TF

Reply to
Tony Fisk