o/s side light help

PLEASE tell me that was deliberate...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

I should hope so - after all it's only greengrocer's who get apostrophies in the wrong places.

Reply to
Guy King

Er, Cauli's is correct.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Come to think of it, I was much too hard on myself - LED's is an abbreviation, the apostrophe indicates something has been left out and is therefore quite correct. Like photo's. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

The message from "TonyB" contains these words:

But not for the right reasons if you're a greengrocer.

Reply to
Guy King

Difficult? You should try a VW Lupo. All the manual tells you in that is "take it to a VW dealer". So there you are in the wilds of North wales, and a headlight bulb goes. You have a spare like every good motorist, but it does no good as you have to travel 50 miles to the nearest dealer.

Reply to
Brian

:-)) I'm glad to say I'm not.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Only if the singular is Cauli'.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Not so. The apostrophe has more than one use. In this case it denotes that something is missing, i.e. the "flower" part of Cauliflower. Therefore cauli' is correct. Same with 'bus = Omnibus taxi' =taximeter cabriolet and pram' = perambulator. Is uppose bra' being short for brassiere would be correct too, and my original example of photo' would also be appropriate.

Many of these longer words have of course long since dropped from our vocabulary so it just depends how picky you want to be.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Did you even read my post?

Six words, and you didn't bother reading them?

Cauli's is acceptable ONLY IF you use cauli' as the singular. I don't, and I'm prepared to bet you don't either.

The apostrophe does indeed have many uses, but forming a plural is not one of them.

That picky enough for you?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

Nah, if it's a greengrocer it'll probably be collie.

Reply to
Guy King

I thought that was Chinese restaurants?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hemel Market. Badly scrawled sign reading... "Paki Mangoe's"

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I'm starting to think I'm going to apply to the Arts Council for a grant to be the Apostropher Royal for the year. I'd dress up like the beadle from Oliver and tour the land with a bell and a paintbrush on a stick. I'd ammend signage and then call attention to the offence with my bell and deliver a short treatise on what was wrong and why it's now correct.

Reply to
Guy King

Ian Dalziel (Ian Dalziel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I do. In fact I'm making Cauli(') Cheese for dinner tonight.

Reply to
Adrian

Bah. But then *you* probably put an apostrophe in pota'to.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel (Ian Dalziel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Dunno about that, but if it's baked, I like to put butter and/or sour cream in it.

Reply to
Adrian

But what if you dont like Cauli's, Caulies or Collys...

Reply to
baza2000

Just Say No.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The message from Ian Dalziel contains these words:

End apostrophe abuse now. You know it make's sense.

Reply to
Guy King