Re: Car buying experience

x-no-archive: yes Chris wrote: news:c8rdc4$gu3$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk

Hi Group, > > Just want to share my experience with a franchise dealer in Southampton > area. A week ago on Sunday, we drove pass this dealer and saw a C3 on > sale, price on sticker was £7995, it was a 03 Reg HDi SX, went in the > office and spoke to the only guy who's working there, let's call him > salesman A from now. > > Salesman A told me the car is £7495, we tried to be sure by asking the > price difference on the car's sticker by asking him out of the office, > right down to the car and my fingers pointed on the sticker. And his > reply was the price has been reduced. > > On the next day (Monday) morning, I phoned up to arrange for a test drive, > the guy I spoke to wasn't salesman A, let's call this guy Salesman B. > I've asked Salesman B about the details of the car I'm interested, I > mentioned it is a 03Reg C3 SX16V 92bhp version done 17,000 miles for > £7495, Salesman B found the car on his computer confirmed all details are > correct, so we agree to meet up on Saturday 1:00pm. > > On Saturday, I turned up on time, but there're no signs of Salesman B, > but I could see Salesman A is inside the office, however, a very young > boy came out and try to offer service to me, so I ask for Salesman B, and > the little boy said Salesman B is not in today, I found that strange then > asked if the office is aware we got an appointment for a test drive > today, and unconditionally he replied yes. > > So, we took the car out with this young boy btw he dressed very smart, > white shirt and tie, very polite as well, but during the test drive I > found out that Salesman B has just left the company a couple days ago, > and this little young boy is on his first day job (or on the job training > with a customer) because of staff shortage, he insisted he has to sit on > the front so I had no choice but chuck my partner to the back seat, he's > holding a mobile on his hand and in my opinion he's a bit nervous, the > only explanation I can come up with is that he's bit worried if I hijack > the car and push him out in the middle of nowhere, but of course I > didn't, anyway, after the test drive and back to the dealer, he was > ordered to serve another customer, a couple, who has been waiting to test > drive a Skoda immediately by the only one in charge - Salesman A, as I > remember we arrive the dealer more or less the same time as this couple, > and we went out for at least 1/2 hour, so this couple was waiting under > the sunlight with no refreshments or anything to cool them down. > > Now, this is the interesting part: > > Salesman A: "So, how do you think of this car?" > Me: "well, There're something I like about it and something I don't; it's > got a very good diesel engine very nippy, but cornering for this car is > not as good, there is a scratch on the side and I can hear squeak every > time I use the foot brake...(before I finish)" > > Salesman A: "This car has got an ABS, this is normal for any car..." > > and I tried to interrupt by saying "... but the brake feel a bit spongy > and it is filthy inside..." and he went: > > "This car is nearly new and it's done a very low mileage... it'll come > with a full valet before we hand it to our customer." > > I then pointed out on the clock, it showed 23000, and I said "Last week on > the advert, it shown 17,000miles so what this car has been up to for the > last 7 days, then?" > > I didn't get a reply at all. So, I try to negotiate on price by asking > for a discount, and check this out, he went: > > "As the price says £8495" > > He was pointing to the sticker, well yes, it was £8495 when I turned up > this time, but it was £7995 a week ago, it bloody gone up! > > And I said to him that I was told by himself a week ago, this car is > £7495, and he went: > > "No, £8495 I cannot give you a discount or I will lose money" > > I replied, "I'm not asking you to do something that you dun want!", and he > went: > > "Well, it is not the fac that I dun but it I can't, I'm here to take a > offer, any offer." > > I then said, "You can check the advert on autotrader's website, I found > the advert on Monday morning, it is priced at £7995 which is the same as > the price last week. But you told us it just been reduced to £7495." > > This cheeky git went: " I was talking about that Citroen Xsara!" > > "What Xsara, which one?", I ask. > > And he point at the one parked right outside his office, which believe me > or not I know what car I'm trying to buy, and I'm not that old that can't > tell the difference between the 2. > > At this point, my partner pointed the little A4 print out sticking on the > side window of the C2, it is the description sheet for the car, and right > at the bottom, priced £7995. > > And now this cheeky Salesman A went "Okay, it's £7995, then!" > > And he kept on saying I'm here ready for an offer. > > I said "Well, thank you very much for your time." And without a bit of > shame he said "Okay...", as we're walking away. > > End of story. > > I dun want to say which dealer is it, but you can take a good guess, they > mainly do Citroen and Skoda, and I was told by Salesman B (before he left > his job) that they won't let cars display on the forecourt when there's a > football. These are the hints. > > In terms of customer service, I have to say from this experience, it is > awful. The young boy was very good apart from his chesty coughing all the > way thru out the test drive so I had to wind down the window fully just > not to catch whatever he's got, but I'm not sure if he's old enough to > work though. > > About the car, it is filthy, full of biscuit crumbs and I can even find an > empty packet left on the rear passenger seat. The car has only one > service, it was done beyond the manufacturer's recommended 12,000 miles > interval. > > Afterall, I just cannot justify myself to buy any car from this dealer at > all. I wished I got a hidden camera with me at the time. > > Please let me know if you have similar experice with them. > > Enough said.

alt.autos.citroen added.

Reply to
McCent

McCent

NAME THEM ..... SHAME THEM !!!!!

DON'T SPARE THEIR BLUSHES !!!

I live not too far from Southampton and I want to check this place out..... ;-)

-- Steve B

Reply to
Steve

Steve, work it out mate, 2 hints there:

  1. Make of Cars that they're selling.
  2. Why they need to move cars out of their forecourt when there's football match?

And they are in Southampton area, so you can't miss them.

~ Chris

Reply to
Chris