Re: How do you jack up a non-running SM?

It sits so low that you can't even get a jack under it. The engine >does not work.

Jack it up with a litle jack until you can get a big jack - with a l-o-n-g lift - under it.

In theory.

Personally, I think you're doomed.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Can it be rolled onto a low ramp? That might get enough space underneath to insert a jack.

I've seen deflated BXs beeing lifted by the sort of crane used to 'tow away' illegally parked cars - using clamps that fit over each wheel. (I've also seen a long crow-bar being used - but I don't recommend that if you want to avoid damage to the car!)

Reply to
Whiskers

Find a recovery firm with a front-wheel platform towing truck. You can roll the car forward over the plates, then lift it, at the front at least.

Mind, you haven't said what you are going to do with it once it's up - that could be important!

TF

Reply to
Tony Fisk

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I agree with Ian.

However, he's already got an SM, so you'll have to give yours to me.

On a more serious note, try one of these :-

know nothing of that supplier) I've got one, and it really does do what it says on the tin. It'll squeeze absolutely flat then inflate. Be wary, though, of positioning - it WILL bend floorpan steel if you just shove it under carelessly, and it will topple over quite easily if the vehicle isn't chocked securely.

For this purpose, though, it's *perfect*.

Reply to
Adrian

The standard methodology, at least among the ID/DS folks and pending a functional hydraulic system, has been to use a 90 degree adapter to mount a pulley on an electric drill (cordless, if need be) and then a short belt between the drill and the pulley (sans engine belt) of the non-runner's hydraulic pump - spin it, and up she comes. Supposedly this works just fine, though I haven't tried it myself, yet. For the SM, given the location of the hydraulic pump, if you were close enough to power - i.e. parked outside and just wanting to get it rolled into the garage - you might be able to dismount the AC compressor and in its place mount a 2nd hand washing machine motor with pulley and a long enough extension cord to reach the mains - for a more permanent, temporary solution.

Reply to
bozo

James ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Try an airbag jack.

a recommendation of that specific vendor, never heard of 'em before) I've got one, and I love it... It's absolutely flat uninflated, but goes high enough to get the back wheels of an Acadiane off the ground. I wouldn't trust it to be solid enough for anything other than a quick tyre change, but it'll do fine for getting a dead SM/DS/whatever high enough for a trolley jack or axle stand to go in.

Reply to
Adrian