RE USING PARRAFIN/KEROSINE TO CLEAN INJECTORS.

hi i believe its ok to use paraffin/kerosene mixed in with the diesel in the tank, but what are the amounts to use safely. the car i will be using it in is a citroen xantia,non turbo, i dont want to put to much or to little in the tank as i believe to much will make the engine run to hot ?. thanks in advance. ASH [uk]

Reply to
Ash

Hi Ash.

Yes parrafin is an excellent cleaner, although I doubt if putting some in the tank will do any good.

Some parrafin now has the same dye as red diesel put in with it, (because people have been mixing parrafin with cheap oil and running their cars on it,) this will taint the tank and if you ever get stopped and checked, you will be caught for using red diesel, this will mean a very large spanking!!!

Why not use one of the over the counter products. I have allways found Forte products and Wurth products to be brilliant.

Take out the fuel filter and bin it. Drain the fuel bowl Fill the bowl with neat cleaner Put in a new filter Put the rest of the cleaner in the tank

Allways works best with low tank contents, as you will get a stronger concentration.

If ever I had a car fail the MOT on emmissions, I would pop a couple of tins in the tank, take the car for a short run and they allways passed. Dont know what it does but it works.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

another vote for Forte Products. They aren't particularly cheap but why waste your time with cheap alternatives and the job not work.

95% of the time forte treatments work (both petrol and diesel) thumbs up for the other forte stuff aswell.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Years ago, before anti-waxing agents were regularly added to diesel fuel in the winter, Peugeot used to recommend adding paraffin if waxing was encountered. They said no more than 10%. They also suggested petrol at no more than 5%, but of course warned that adding some fuels could be illegal in some countries.

Reply to
Brian

Having accidentally had petrol put into the tank of my diesel ZX, I can report that the results were ... interesting. Loss of power and a lot of noise, but apparently no damage. The MOT (road-worthiness test) mechanic shortly afterwards commented on the 'clean exhaust' ...

Reply to
Whiskers

Is it not tru that INJECTOR CLEANER is a mix of 90% paraffin (kerosene in US) with 10% automatic transmission fluid as upper cylinder lubricant, [this was not posted by me, but on another forum]

Reply to
egondalia

Is it not tru that INJECTOR CLEANER is a mix of 90% paraffin (kerosene in US) with 10% automatic transmission fluid as upper cylinder lubricant, [this was not posted by me, but on another forum]

Reply to
egondalia

Reply to
Ash

Take care parafin is something differnet in France too.

Theo

Reply to
Theo van Riet

Ash ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Doesn't taste like Paraffin to me.

Reply to
Adrian

Whiskers ( snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING...

You can get away with a cockup like that on an older diesel, like a ZX - usually - but you will NOT get away with that on a modern common rail diesel.

If you even CONTEMPLATE starting the engine - no matter how briefly - with petrol in the tank of a common rail diesel, you WILL get a bill for several thousand pounds for (at the very minimum) an injection pump.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry to disagree with you Adrian.

My mate bought a brand new Peugeot HDI diesel about six months ago.

Being used to petrol he was carefull for about a month, then got slack, he put =A320 worth of petrol in the near empty tank, after realising what he had done, he filled to the brim with diesel.

Driving home he made it about 6 miles, this probabally being the filter full and the lines, then the car just stoped! no noises or stutters, he says it was just as if the ignition was turned off. He tried to start it but no go.

Then came my phone call, I went out and pulled him home.

We drained out the tank, lines and the filter bowl, Re filled with with fresh deisel and it started first turn of the key, not what I was expecting.

Using this car as a taxi, he has now done about 20'000 trouble free miles in it.

So sorry it wont allways balls the engine up.

My only thoughts are that the electric probes and magical bits envolved with the modern common rail engines, picked up the wrong signals from the exhaust and shut the engine down.

Waddaya think????????

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

snip

I would expect that putting petrol through a diesel engine would produce unusually hot exhaust gasses, which could be the load bangs I heard when it happened to my engine. If there were sensors in the exhaust manifold and a computer programmed to protect the engine against meltdown, then the engine probably would be cut off. My tank only had a gallon or two of petrol amongst several gallons of oil, so I may have got off more lightly than your mate.

There is less energy in petrol than in oil, so the mechanical parts of the engine should be able to take the pressure; the exhaust system may not like the temperature of petrol burning along the tubes though.

Reply to
Whiskers