ZX - No spark....

My sister-in-laws Citroen ZX (H reg) won't start.

The fuel is getting through okay. Basically it has no spark, so won't start. I've tested all the fuses, which are fine. The coil has 4 wires going to it, they're from the distributor I think.

Can you give any indication of what the connections are?

Where can I find a wiring diagram for the ignition on the net. please?

BTW Its not a traditional coil with two terminals, but a square block with a connector containing 4 contacts. If I knew what each contact was for I would check it, hence asking for a wiring diagram.

What are the common failure points with this car/model to cause this problem?

It was running okay one moment, then on the way to the mot station it stopped, I thought it was lack of petrol, so put a couple of gallons in. Ended up flattening the battery trying to start it, so towed it. It did fire up for about 20 seconds, but by the time I got out of the car to remove the tow rope it had stopped. Towed it for about 2 miles, but it never fired up again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Reply to
johnh

Could be the electronic module, I assume there must be one in there somewhere.

Reply to
neil

"johnh" wrote in news:45202bfc$0$16579$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

What enigne is it? That's more interesting than the registration plate.

This is distributorless system. The block has a four-output coil, one output for each spark plug, so the wires you see go to the spark plugs. There is one big connector to the ECU unit.

The coil can be faulty (I had one output fail at one time), the connectors might be loose, the ECU can be faulty.

The only thing I can think of to do (if you have no testing equipment) is trying a backup ECU or coil. Better option is to get at least a professional diagnose.

Maarten

Reply to
Maarten Deen