No spark in a 3.0 89 New Yorker

I went to the store and when I got back to the car it wouldn't start. So I had it towed home. I pulled a spark plug wire to check for spark and put it against the block and no spark. I put in a new coil and still no spark. I was told it could be the pick up coil. Is this possible? I priced them and they are $120 new and junk yard $15 or $50 for distributor. Or could other things prevent it from getting spark? The car will crank but wont kick over If its the pick up coil should I buy the pick up coil or the distributor at the junk yard? thank you

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

Stop randomly throwing parts at the problem. You will empty your wallet long before you fix the problem this way.

Check for codes.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Before you check for codes, disconnect the PCM (engine controller). This sets a code 11 (no rpm input since last reset). Crank the engine and then check codes again and see if the code 11 clears. If it clears, then the PCM saw the crank input. Oh, this applies to all DCX EFI cars prior to 95 and trucks prior to 96.

Bill

Reply to
Bill