Tightening Steering in a 58 Apache..

Any advice on tightening up the steering on a 58 Apache. New tie rods ? Ball joints ? Someone told me installing a 67 steering box would make a big difference. I'm an all original so far I know it is a bit loose by nature and by todays standards. Anyone been down this road already ?

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You mean like "do it right"?

Sure, you can start throwing parts at it. Probably the tie-rods, ball joints, whatever, are getting well worn, but to do it right you need to test them and determine where the problem is.

It will never steer like a new vehicle--and a 58 is probably worth keeping original if possible.

Have you adjusted the lash on the steering box?

Reply to
PeterD

On the steering gear box there is a set screw and nut. The nut is loosened and the srew is torqued to specification and then is loosen x turns and nut is retight. You may want to keep an eye out for a replacement or remanufactured steering gear box that one is not going to last forever. I have a 64 Ford F100 and my steering gear box gave out and I'm still trying to find a good replacement for it.

Reply to
Doc

Hi Charlie,

Does this truck have the straight front axel like my '55? It may be kingpins... just a thought...

Reply to
websurfer