Any distributor experts out there?

When I bought my PI 3 years ago, the previous owner had fitted a fancy rotor arm with a governor mechanism that shorted the spark at high revs.

When I got the car, the governor operated at 4100 rpm, but over time I imagine the springs have got tired, and this has crept down, and yesterday it was down to 3600 rpm which is a bit too low.

I know I could just swap it for a standard rotor arm, but I quite like the idea of protecting a lively but 34 year old lump with a rev limiter, so I would prefer to adjust it back up to 4000 rpm if I can.

Has anybody got instructions on how to adjust these things?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I had something like this as standard on my '86 Audi coupe quattro, but I recall that it was based on a spring which, at higher revs, was overcome by centrifugal force which took the rotor tip away from the distributor cap contacts via some linkage or other. I would think what you need to do is tighten up the spring, somehow - of course on the Audi it was a replacement job.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Just bend the brass loop back slightly - you can also remove the 3 tiny scews that are fitted for setting the RPM setting precisely but these have very little effect. I suspect the rotor arm was originally fitted to a 6 cylinder army Landrover

Reply to
AWM

Landrover 2.6 IOE engine had a rotor arm fitted which limits at about

4500rpm or therabouts. It is still available as a new part, although the cost is about 10 times a normal rotor arm. The part number I have listed is 625051, but this may have changed, it's an old book.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Many thanks. I can't remember if one or two little brass screws remain, but I do remember at least one hole where a brass screw is missing. (The car is in for its MOT as I write, so I can't actually check right now)

I will experiment tomorrow by removing the rest of the screws. I don't know what increment these screws produce, but I only need an extra 500rpm. If that is less than satisfactory, I will then indulge in a little gentle bending.

Reply to
Jim Warren

snip

More like only 100 rpm difference

Reply to
AWM

Jim et al, don't you think that limiting to 4000rpm is a little too drastic? I had an underfueling problem recently - the car leaned out too much at

3250rpm+ which made 4000rpm nigh impossible. Sorting this out means I can achieve 4000rpm easily without fuss and the PI (1970 bog standard aside from Witor semisport exhaust) is still wanting to pull like a train. I certainly don't feel that I'm mistreating the car, 5000rpm maybe...

No? Alright, don't mind me - I'll get me coat ;-)

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete

This is a Triumph PI? I'd have thought its maximum safe revs nearer 6000. Even the old Rolls 5 litre 6 would rev to over 4000.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The red line on the rev counter is at 6000, with an amber line at 5000. I have no doubt that without a limiter it would happily pull up to or perhaps past the red line.

But the car is an automatic, and if I kick down to overtake or use the selector to hold the lower gears for maximum acceleration, the revs climb very quickly, and under those circumstances I will normally be concentrating more on the road than the rev counter. I also remember a friend who owned (and thrashed) a Mk1 and he found that the interval between metering unit overhauls was quite short if he used all the performance available.

4000 revs with the higher ratio axle used in the automatic is 84-90 mph depending on how much slack the torque converter is using, and about 55-60 mph in 2nd. That will do for me.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the rotor arm is stamped Lucas and

54427046 in case the number means anything to anybody.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

If you stick to kickdown, the maximum safe engine speed can't be exceeded

- indeed the BW 35 usually changes up early rather than late. Of course using the manual hold requires caution as there is no over-ride.

Can't comment, I'm afraid, as this system is a closed book to me. And to just about everyone else, apparently. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , DocDelete writes

Well I certainly always felt that my 2500S was happy up to near 5000 RPM, especially when I put the late PI cam in it.

Oh, BTW Ken, it's still there and still up for grabs if you want it. I know where the access card is now...

Reply to
Robert Pearce