Any sunroof "experts"?

'98 Scenic. The front sunroof will not shut from the tilt position on the passenger side.
Drivers side gets pulled down as it should. The problem seems to
be centred around the rear of the mechanism. Took the glass out today and was able to see that the rear only moved around a quarter inch and then stopped as if jamming on something but damned if I can find anything.
Front part of mechanism works as it should as does all of the drivers side.
This has a "manual over-ride" so you can close the roof with an allen key if needed, it jams at the same point.
Anyone any ideas that don't involve removing the whole sunroof as don't have drive or garage to be able cover car during work.
Thanks,
No one got any idea's?
: '98 Scenic. The front sunroof will not shut from the tilt : position on the passenger side. : : Drivers side gets pulled down as it should. The problem seems to : be centred around the rear of the mechanism. Took the glass out : today and was able to see that the rear only moved around a : quarter inch and then stopped as if jamming on something but : damned if I can find anything. : : Front part of mechanism works as it should as does all of the : drivers side. : : This has a "manual over-ride" so you can close the roof with an : allen key if needed, it jams at the same point. : : Anyone any ideas that don't involve removing the whole sunroof as : don't have drive or garage to be able cover car during work. : : Thanks,

You're the only one in a position to be able to determine what's wrong by working out where/what's catching...

Have you tried Googling on the make and model with the problem?
--
*Avoid clichs like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

wrote: : > No one got any idea's? : : Have you tried Googling on the make and model with the problem?
Yep. Pretty much all the results come back related to complete motor failure and solving it (atleast temporarily) with the manual over ride.

Is there a forum devoted to this model? Perhaps a Yahoo group? Or an owners club with a forum?
--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

wrote: : > : > No one got any idea's? : > : : > : Have you tried Googling on the make and model with the problem? : : > Yep. Pretty much all the results come back related to complete : > motor failure and solving it (atleast temporarily) with the : > manual over ride. : : Is there a forum devoted to this model? Perhaps a Yahoo group? Or an : owners club with a forum?
I think I've searched pretty much every Renault group/forum/posting not just for the Scenic as Renault, just like most makers, will use stuff across the whole range if they can.
Think I'm going to have to take the roof lining out after chrimbo and see what's going on underneath :(
Cheers,

I dunno your type of sunroof, but mine, which is a more basic electrically operated slide only type can have the external roof and sliding carriage removed from the outside of the car. In other words, the only time you'd need to remove the headlining would be to replace the main framework of the thing (if say it had rusted through) - everything else can be got at without. It's not as strange as it sounds because the external roof - glass or whatever, is usually larger than the carriage it slides on.
But I'm amazed you can't find a full description/fault finding article anywhere on the net.
--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

wrote: : : > I think I've searched pretty much every Renault : > group/forum/posting not just for the Scenic as Renault, just like : > most makers, will use stuff across the whole range if they can. : : > Think I'm going to have to take the roof lining out after chrimbo : > and see what's going on underneath :( : : I dunno your type of sunroof, but mine, which is a more basic electrically : operated slide only type can have the external roof and sliding carriage : removed from the outside of the car. In other words, the only time you'd : need to remove the headlining would be to replace the main framework of : the thing (if say it had rusted through) - everything else can be got at : without. It's not as strange as it sounds because the external roof - : glass or whatever, is usually larger than the carriage it slides on. : : But I'm amazed you can't find a full description/fault finding article : anywhere on the net.
You and me both. Even the Haynes manual, with regards the sunroof says:.......
""Due to the complexity of the sunroof mechanism, considerable expertise is needed to repair, replace or adjust the sunroof components successfully. Removal of the sunroof first requires the removal of the headlining which is a complex and tedious operation and not a task to be undertaken lightly. Therefore any problems with the sunroof should be referred to a Renault dealer.""
That is soooo helpful :(

All that means is Haynes couldn't be bothered to strip it down to provide repair instructions. Has no bearing on how complicated it is.
Have you checked Ebay for a CD etc copy of the proper factory 'workshop manual'? That should at least confirm the whole lot has to be removed for repair.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

wrote: : > You and me both. Even the Haynes manual, with regards the sunroof : > says:....... : : > ""Due to the complexity of the sunroof mechanism, considerable : > expertise is needed to repair, replace or adjust the sunroof : > components successfully. Removal of the sunroof first requires : > the removal of the headlining which is a complex and tedious : > operation and not a task to be undertaken lightly. Therefore any : > problems with the sunroof should be referred to a Renault : > dealer."" : : > That is soooo helpful :( : : All that means is Haynes couldn't be bothered to strip it down to provide : repair instructions. Has no bearing on how complicated it is. : : Have you checked Ebay for a CD etc copy of the proper factory 'workshop : manual'? That should at least confirm the whole lot has to be removed for : repair.
I hadn't, but good thinking, will do that now.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:48:42 -0000

Have you tried this group? I find them very helpful.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk /
--
Davey.