Any Holley experts out there?

My carburetor started giving me trouble today. Again. It's a Holley

4150 (600 CFM 4 barrel) on an '85 CJ-7 with an AMC 360. It wants to close the choke every time I give it some gas. This makes it idle about 1800 rpm. I have to push the fast idle cam (little red plastic thing) down to get it to unchoke and idle normally. But then, when I give it a little gas again, it chokes again. It normally idles lower than that when cold, maybe 1200 - 1400 rpm, and a heck of a lot lower once warm, about 600 rpm. I took the choke parts off just to see if there was anything obviously broken - didn't see anything. The spring is OK. The connections seem OK (electric choke). It was set to the fifth mark from the right. I moved it to the fourth, but by then it was dinner time. I'll ride it around tomorrow and see it anything I did made any difference. If anyone has any ideas, I could use some help. I don't have much experience with carbs. Thanks. TrailMarker.
Reply to
TrailMarker

L.W.(ßill)

If the RPM had increased before you took it a part I would look for a> vacuum leak. If after, then you have not put the heat sensitive spring> back the lever fork lever, for sure it's now too far towards the rich> side, just twist it back CC if you can't find the fault. In the sixties> it would have had a choke pull off that would have look like this:>
that would have been the> problem.

Thanks LW (Bill) for the response. This post is for posterity - in case someone has a similar problem and searches here for help. It was really pretty simple. I got some great help from the Holley web site. They have an online technical help section that steered me in the right direction. I told him what was happening, he told me exactly what to check and he was exactly right. The resistor spring in the choke cap must have a 12V power supply to work correctly. The current flow helps heat the metallic spring to more quickly re-open the choke. My power lead had broken somewhere back in the harness. My spring wasn't getting warm enough to de-choke. Luckily nothing else has lost power (yet) so it seems to be just the lead to the choke. I simply connected it to another switched power supply and voila! It works! The Magnificent-7 motors on! And I learned a thing or two about carburetors & chokes in the process. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker