Any tips on Triumph GT6 head removal?

See my other reply to Chris.

Reply to
...Jerry...

The sumps are different, but that's just a bolt on/off thing. The 2500 has a slightly longer throw so if you fit it in a GT6 or Vitesse you need to either use the Vitesse sump and bash a couple of dimples in it to allow for the extra throw OR weld in a half pipe piece so the 2500 sump will clear the steering rack - neither is a big job and the former needs just a hammer :-) The oil pick-up pipe length varies on sump pattern but again, not a biggy - just little details. The other issue is carbs - the GT6 particularly has minimal space under the bonnet and the 2000 family had the engine canted over and a special manifold - if you put that in a GT you won' be able to close the bonnet :-( Use a GT6/Vitesse manifold to get round it.

As I said, it's easier to use the correct engine and know the condition, just think about doing all that messing around only to find the thing blows up in a 1k miles!....

Reply to
...Jerry...

That's the one, thanks. Certainly something I'd consider if I have to renew them again.

That makes sense too.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I hadn't intended to open up such a can of worms with that question. Interesting answers though. Perhaps one lesson from this is to buy a spare engine if you see one going cheaply, even if it's destined to sit in your garden wrapped in a tarp!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Fair comment but I've never been one for dropping an engine in without having the sump off and cleaning/tinkering/messing about with the ancillaries etc