The quality of aftermarket parts vs parts that came on car question

I have a bone stock 1990 mustang that I have had for over 20 years. It runs great other than I have some oil leaks that are hard to diagnose. Due to h e limites space and my desire for a clean shop floor, I am planning on pull ing the engine and transmission, and replacing every gasket including the h ead gasket. I also plan on having a valve job and new seals put in the head s. (60 bucks at local machine shop).

Since I would have everything apart, I thought about replacing the oil pump and timing chain while I am at it. This got me to wondering about aftermar ket parts. For the most part, on my other vehicles when I have gotton a par t at my local autozone, I have had mostly good luck. However there have bee n a few exceptions. For one, a borge warner distributor cap/rotor replaceme nt on a 96 Silverado. About 8 months after a replacement, I developed a mis s. I ended up replacing just about everything but the cap trying to find th e cause. (I figured the cap was new so it could not possible be the cap!)

So, what I am getting at is, if I were to purchase a Ford Racing oil pump f or 20 bucks online, can I expect the same amount of life as the one that ca me in my car in 1990 and now has over 100,000 miles on it? What about a for d racing timing chain?

At one time I went through a spell of ordering what I thought were "factory parts" online because they said "motorcraft" on it. But if you read the fi ne print on some of them, it says that basically the part may be subbed out to a third party. So, if I buy a motorcraft part online somewhere, is it t he same part I would get if I were to go to the to dealer an order a servic e part or not?

Not to change the subject, but is there anything else you would do while yo u had the engine out of the car that is not too expensive? I plan on re doi ng the heads as I said, new gaskets, timing chain/sprocket, oil pump, clean the oil pan and everything up. (Even wondered if it would be hard/worth wi ld to replace freeze plugs. (But it gets to the point where you are almost rebuilding the whole motor....)

Thanks!

Reply to
stryped1

[...]

This is a tough subject without easy answers. I would think that "Ford Rac ing" *ought* to be safe but I don't know for sure. Also parts used for rea l racing should be OK. Other brands that have traditionally been good alth ough I don't know if they still are would be e.g. Fel-Pro, Melling, Cloyes, Clevite etc.

In the oil pump department, I would stay away from the "high pressure" pump s unless you have a specific need for them...

nate

Reply to
N8N

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

yep, don`t put in anything but stock if you don`t need it. just cause more trouble than its worth. also put in a new oil pump drive rod. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Check the water pump too. The blades can wear down.

Reply to
JR