Bits I cant find on my SD1

Hello,

The braking is going well, engine and box came out quite well, a serious of happy coincidences meant I was able to find just the right person with just the right bit of kit at just the right time to get it all to my garage and onto the stand tonight. I could not however find anyone with a 10mm ring spanner, which meant the gearbox took a while coming off.

I can't find a couple of things mentioned in the manual - the speedo cable was not to be found at all going into the box (the speedo worked fine) - is it electrical on the series 2, if so where do I find it?, and the ballast resistor - has it been replaced by a gubbins on the distributor on the series 2?

I suspect my workshop manual may be for a series 1, despite being assured by the seller it was for a 2.

Reply to
Liam Healy

The electrical speed sender is in the same place as the mechanical drive.

IIRC, all SD1 V-8s have electronic ignition. Early ones had an amplifier mounted some way off, by the coil, IRRC. Later ones have the amplifier mounted on the front of the distributor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave,

I had disconnect a green and green/white cable from the top of the gear box by the gear lever, but had assumed these were to do with the reversing lights. Was that it? Where would I look for the mechanical drive - there was nothign obvious at all, even examining the box now its out.

Reply to
Liam Healy

This is a manual? It's at the back of the box (as it's driven off the output shaft) on the passenger's side. It well be rather obscured by the gearchange extension. But I'm not really up on these manual boxes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mostly they are a little round thing that sticks out of the rear of the box to one side, about an inch and a half in diameter.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Think I found it. But now a new problem.

I was taking out the dash today, and found an Electronic Fuel Control box, with about a million wires coming out of it. It was under the passenger side dash.

What does it do ? There were only 3 wires connected to the carb that I could see. There is no connector, it just feeds into a bundle of sires as think as my wrist.

Do I need it ? Will the engine run without it ? I'm, not sure I can figure out what any of its connections do, or can I just forget about it? Ooer.

This engine is eventually going into an MGB.

Reply to
Liam Healy

Sounds like it's got electronic mixture control - a last stand attempt from SU to be as 'good' as fuel injection. Sensors on the engine etc control mixture and idle speed. It can work pretty well. ;-)

Be best to get an SD1 factory manual off ebay which will explain it. Or fit the carbs from an earlier car with manual choke, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)