master cylinder problem?

Switched out the brake light switch on my 56 oval and promptly lost brake pressure (even though only a minute amount of brake fluid seaped out during the switch) awhile back. Bleed the system and was off and running, been running fine for a couple of weeks and this morning while driving, suddenly had no brake pressure about 3/4 of the way to my destination, crept to where I was going and noticed the brake pedal went closer to the floor, but was able to stop. On the way back home (side streets and early morning), was fine for a while, but then again lost all pressure again. Checked under where I park the car, no puddles anywhere (four corners, etc), looked around the MC, nothing. It seems to me that my MC is shot. Does this seem correct, or am I being a little premature in my thinking? Anything I should do, before I spring for a new MC? Thanks. -DB

Reply to
DB

Pull the carpet out of the Drivers side and see if your main brake line has erupted. Also Check under the bac seat .........basically just follow the brake line and check it thoroughly. ...................... If it's Leaking it's an easy fix. Just takes some patience and one very inexpensive part and some replacement fluid.

other than that,..................yeah, I suppose you might be in for a new master cylinder.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Grit can be released from minor work like that if the MC hasn't been touched for awhile. I would add that it's always a good practice to bench bleed a new, repared, or rebuilt MC prior to installation. I've had MCs that I thought had pitted after a rebuild because I couldn't get the pedal to firm up (even with the shoes all the way out). It was suggested that I bench bleed the MC and try it again. Bingo. I drove that MC for several years with no problems.

John

Reply to
dragoneyre

Brakes that come and go like that is usually a sign of a dirty check valve. Probably for the very reason that John mentioned. I think a new MC is the right way to go.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

Reply to