Classic classic cars?

I am working on a non commercial web site (links below) parts of which discuss the history of (British) roads and road transport. I have tried to find out about fashions in car design, colouring and ornamentation to show how these have evolved.

Anyone care to suggest a list of cars that defined any given decade? That is if you saw one on a photo it would probably give a fair idea of when the photo was taken.

Suggestions for the most likely car to be seen on the roads in any given decade would also be a big help.

Any comments of fashions in colours and ornamentation would be welcome.

Bits of the site relating to this topic include . . .

Road Traffic - Introduction, Licensing, Wheels, Suspension, Brakes and Transmission

Roads and Road Works
Road Markings and Street Furniture
Private motor vehicles
British motor manufacturers (still very much under construction)
Road Vehicles - Horse Drawn Vehicles and Bicycles
Road Vehicles - Commercial Vehicles
Appendix One - Outside the Fence - Main index for this section
This started as a site intended to help kids (specifically my god son) build toy train sets, however if they are going to do this I would prefer they gained some knowledge in the process. Any comments, reminiscences etc welcome - If anyone has a photo of a favourite car they could scan and send it would help to illustrate the various sections. As I say its a non commercial site, I am currently a carer and hence broke (I get 87 quid a week from a grateful nation to live on) so all I can offer in return is a credit with a link to any website(s) you wish to promote.

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Had a quick look - quite a project! Haven't checked all the pictures yet, but one caught my eye - that's not a R-R Silver Shadow, looks more like a Phantom 5 or 6 (I'm not an R-R expert) - very rare, built for Heads of State and the like. Shouldn't be difficult to find a picture of a Shadow - lots were built, and many still do duty as wedding cars.

Cars to define a decade - nice one! The sixties is really my period, and I would suggest a Ford Pop (perpendicular), Morris Minor, Mini and Jaguar E-Type. I am sure there will be protagonists of many other cars, but to me any one of these would immediately shout "sixties".

Good luck with the site.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Thanks - will check the Rolls - Thik I ID'd it from a bloody great book on the history of the motor industry - I'll have to re-borrow the book then go hunting.

Thanks for the suggestions - will endeavour to add examples of all of these

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

[snip]

Not read it all, but there are some howlers. Austin and Morris (and others) amalgamated in '52, not '62 to form BMC. The Austin Cambridge shown is '50s design, not '60s - it was first sold in '59. The Farina Austin Cambridge and Morris Oxford had identical engines and mechanics as well as basic bodies. The previous generation Cambridge and Oxford also shared engines and much of the mechanics - only the bodies were different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh dear - seems it is worse than I realised - This is not really my field so I have relied on others rather too much - Currently a carer so I haven't been able to get to libraries to do proper research on this section (yet). Things now changing so I should have more time, will revise this section as time allows. Thanks for the pointers though, they will be attended to asap.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Are you sure about this Dave? ISTR a motoring magazine of the time preferring the Morris with its rack and pinion steering over the Austin with its sloppier steering box.

It is over 40 years ago and my memory might be playing tricks, but it was relevant at the time because my then next door neighbour had just bought the Austin.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

That must have referred to the previous generation. The Series I and Series II/III Oxford - designed by Issigonis, and the latter still in production in India as the Ambassador - did indeed have R&P steering and torsion bar front suspension. Austins of the period not. I think the first Austin fitted with R&P steering was the Sprite.

The entire Farina range were substantially identical. And had Austin suspension and steering - still with the by then rather old fashioned lever arm shocks which were also the top link of the double wishbones. Which of course carried on in the MGB and Midget.

Apart from trim, the only real mechanical differences in the Farina range were carbs - Zenith (or was it Solex?) on early Austins and single or twin SUs. Floor or column gear change and an auto were an option on some models as was a diesel. IIRC they did try out a different steering box on the last of the Riley 4/72s - a worm and sector.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few points on Private Motoring:

I don't think it is correct to say that the 1948 Morris Minor was introduced in response to Bubble Cars. The Bubble Car boom was in the mid 1950s.

The engines on the R38 airship were Sunbeam, not Singer.

MG cars are not being built on the Trestle system and I don't think Reliant still exist.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Indeed. I've read that the Mini was, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not that that high-headlight thing is a 1948 Minor, anyway.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Thanks again gentlemen - More research obviously required. Will ammend the points noted asap.

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Thanks for the corrections - That old 'Encylcopedia of the Motor Car. was evidently not worth the price! Corrections inserted, although still trying to confirm details of the R38 engines.

If the Morgan is not built on a trestle system what is the system called? They still roll the chassis about on its wheels to put the engine in and add bodywork - I thought that was (essentially) the trestle system?

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

indicates Sunbeam Cossack engines in the later R3x ships, FWIW..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Please do include a Truimph sports car.

TR3/ TR4 or my favourite ('cos I have one... a TR5!)

J.

Reply to
J.

My typo I'm afraid - It was the R34 not the R38 that Singer was involved in.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Its a question of seeing one when I have my camera with me - Then I can look up the details and add it to the site - Unless that is you have a pic(s) that could be e-mailed . . . . .

Mike ( mike at da2c org plus the full stops)

Reply to
Mike Smith