Classics you're embarrassed at liking

'Twas Tue, 04 May 2004 20:28:49 GMT, when "Pete M" decided to declare:

Yes it'd have to be an Exec.

I like most older Pugs! The 504 is nice and the 403...

My uncle had one. I loved the intake above the headlights. Like something out of Thunderbirds....

How about the Talbot Tagora?

Del.

Reply to
Del The Obscure

'Twas Wed, 5 May 2004 12:53:01 +0100, when "Geoff Mackenzie" decided to declare:

Dunno on the Starion but yes, 'No va' does translate as 'doesn't go' and Mist is a German colloquiallism for dung.

Del

Reply to
Del The Obscure

'Twas Tue, 4 May 2004 23:19:08 +0100, when snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) decided to declare:

Had a 999cc FIRE once, with a dash display with Blackpool Illuminations, except you could never be sure in what order they'd light up Let's face it it's just a Panda in a better suit :o) I like this though:

Del.

Reply to
Del The Obscure

Acutally, it's surprisingly un-Panda like under the skin. More closely related to the Fiat 127 and Uno really.

I just _knew_ that link would crop up when Y10 was mentioned ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Just googled, and yes, I'd have one. Knew someone who did way back in the early 80s, always liked the shape.

Reply to
SteveH

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Geoff Mackenzie" saying something like:

Istr that Volvo did indeed buy the rights to make a British engine under licence, but wasn't that a Triumph lump? Or was that Saab?

Saab bought the Trumpet lump to replace their farty twosmoke and did what Triumph would have liked to do with it, making a decent engine even better.

Volvo bought the B-series and didn't do a great deal with it, it being solid and reliable anyway, but they eventually took it out to 2 litres. Didn't they designate it as the B-series also? B20, B40, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Didn't SAAB make the old Ford V4 as well for some of it's cars?

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

I remember them from my childhood. Next door neighbour had a normal 604. It had weird windscreen wipers. Didn't they make a GTi version?!

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

There's SU carbs on at least one version of the 1800 engine, so you could be onto something there

Reply to
Stuffed

Synapse Syndrome was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

AFAIK they bought it in, didn't make it themselves. It was used in the

95, 96 and the Sonnet 3.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@jaceeprint.demon.co.uk (marc) saying something like:

That's the one with the greenhouse back end, isn't it?

I'll see your Pacer and raise you a Gremlin.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"Geoff Mackenzie" wrote

No idea, but the Japanese can't say their Ls and the Chinese can't say their Rs so certainly plausible. WTF does "Starion" mean anyway? Or "Lantra"? Or "Camry"?

Correct language wise, can't speak for the story. Plausible for sure.

"Mist" does indeed mean "dung" in German. "Silver" in German = "silber", so the car's name would have sounded like it meant "silver poo" to a German.

The MR2 was just the MR in France, supposedly because MR2 in French = "em-air-duh", which sounds uncannily like the French phrase "eh, merde" - or in English, "aw, shit!"

Anyone know how you pronounce "Countach"?

Count ash? Coon tack?

Reply to
The Blue Max

"Del The Obscure" wrote

I once drove a Talbot Solara for 2 days when my Orion was in being repainted. People kept stopping me to tell me my caravan had fallen off the back.

Reply to
The Blue Max

I'm aware of the tie up ( but thanks for the link) but I still can't see how you can justify the Rancho creating the Espace.

Reply to
marc

The Blue Max ( snipped-for-privacy@Jasta1.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It works the other way, too. Citroen badged the top-spec diseasel BXs and CXs as TRD for most of europe. We had 'em as the DTR. Can't think why.

Drop the O, pause after the T, and add an E on the end.

Reply to
Adrian

Synapse Syndrome ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMhotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep, see my other post. My old man had a B-reg 604 GTi.

The thing I remember best about it is, bizarrely, the exhaust back boxes.

The pipes curled round the box to enter at the back. The tailpipe itself had a small notch in the underside, akin to the reed on a recorder or similar woodwind instrument.

On idle, on a cold morning, the exhaust clearly exited through that notch rather than the end of the tailpipe. Wierd. Sounded LOVELY, though, especially on full chat.

Reply to
Adrian

--snip--

differentiate

Blimey - an urban myth verified! That's a change. Many thanks.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

===snip

I've always called it Coon Tash, but may be wrong. Scored wonderful brownie points years ago in a Sunday lunchtime pub argument about how to pronounce Lamborghini, i.e. with a hard or soft G - Lambogeeney or Lambojeeney. A paricularly know-it-all type insisted it was the latter. I insisted it was the former. When challenged about how I was so certain, I was able to say "well, that's how Ferruccio (sp?) Lamborghini introduced himself when we met last week...."

Drifting a bit, thinking of French phrases and what they sound like, the late lamented Roy Kinnear once claimed on a radio programme that the motto of the French marines was "A l'eau, c'est l'heure" (literally, it is time, to the water). Try saying it a few times with your best schoolboy French accent - comes out remarkably close to "Hello, Sailor" ! (For younger readers, this was a well-known introduction by certain professional ladies in the Portsmouth area when looking for punters).

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I thought the successor to the two-stroke was a V4 of Ford origin, later replaced by a slant four which was half a Triumph V8 as per Stag. But this is just the gaslit end of my memory bank, I'm not an expert. Was just around at the time.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Yes, my 1800S had twin SU's which made it visually close to the B Series in MGB form. But I think the internal dimensions of the engine were also remarkably similar.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie