Curved dash Oldsmobile

For some local history research into the first person to own a car in a local village, does anyone know:

  1. When Oldsmobiles were first imported into the UK? (the Curved Dash seems to have been the most popular model so it would very likely have been this. We have been given a date of 1900 for this particular car but this can't be right as they weren't made till 1901!)

  1. How much did the car cost in the UK? (it was 0 in the USA)

  2. Where can we see a surviving example - I believe the Haynes Motor Museum have one.

Any help appreciated.

John Mann

Reply to
John Mann

Ransome Eli Olds was the some of an Iron foundry owner in Lansing Michigan . Olds started exporting cars from the USA as early as 1893 but first started selling petrol cars in 1897, a full sized manufacturing plant was opened in Detroit in 1900 when the name Oldsmobile was first used. In 1901 the factory burned down and ther firm moved back to Lansing. The Curved Dash Olds and its near relative the "Reo" (not hard to guess the origin of the name) was the most useable american made car of the first half of the 1900s

Your best chance is to get in touch with the VCC

where I am sure somebody will put you intouch with an owner.

Reply to
dilbert

According to 'The Motor Car 1765 - 1914' by Anthony Bird they got here in

1902.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson