First cars: Would you want to own it again?

In my irresponsible youth (as opposed to ditto old age) I took seven people from a wedding reception to the pub in a Series 1 E-Type. With the hood up. It was more difficult getting the first bloke out - required help from amused spectators - than it was getting them all in. Good job that engine was so flexible - we went all the way in third, as I had no chance of changing gear - the gearlever was about three bodies down.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

My first was a 1954 Standard 8. Rolled it a week before my driving test, but still passed although the examiner was not impressed by the state of the panels and the lack of exterior door handles. Don't think I would want another one.

Followed it with a ZB Magnette. Yes, would love one of those again, especially a Varitone.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I've no doubt the cinq (especially the sporting) will be a well regarded classic in the near future - Fiat doing what they do best. The Abarth stuff is just a badge though now :-(

Reply to
Ken

Hilmann Avenger 1500 GT

Just remenber it being quite quick... then.

Followed by:

Austin Healey Mk 2 Sprite

Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite

Triumph GT6 Mk 3 This is the one I wish I had never got rid of.

Then got my first company car, so the toys went...

Reply to
Andy Vines

: In my irresponsible youth (as opposed to ditto old age) I took seven people : from a wedding reception to the pub in a Series 1 E-Type.

I once fitted eighteen passengers into a VW Campervan.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Lucky old you. My first car was a '72 VW 1302S with rust in wings, rear flank panels and door pillars. Dubious handling, to say the least, noisy, occasionally attempted to gas the occupants. I'd not touch another one with a long stick which belonged to someone else.

Saw a fairly tidy VW 411 a couple of weeks back. Not seen one of those in a very long time. That might have been a more sanitary sort of a vehicle.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

In my case it's probably be either my fourth car - the early GSA X1 (X-reg., I think it was; that was a //nice// car) or the Scimitar I sold last year (but without its assorted patches of chassis-rust, thank you). Next down the list you probably be car #5 (the 2CV6), car #9 (Skoda 105S) and current-car (car #12, 1990 Range-Rover) in no especial order.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

That's impressive, as is Geoff's seven in an E (I really can't picture how that might work). Makes my record of packing eight into a 2CV seem very modest.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

: In article , : Ian Johnston wrote: : >On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:46:06 UTC, "Geoff Mackenzie" : > wrote: : >

: >: In my irresponsible youth (as opposed to ditto old age) I took seven people : >: from a wedding reception to the pub in a Series 1 E-Type. : >

: >I once fitted eighteen passengers into a VW Campervan. : : That's impressive, as is Geoff's seven in an E (I really can't : picture how that might work). Makes my record of packing : eight into a 2CV seem very modest.

I did once get eight adults into a standard red telephone box. That's not as easy as it sounds, particularly since the rules said that they had to close the door fully and then use the phone, with a coin, to call me.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Hi Guys, as my previous post about a Morris Marina Coupe has caused quite a stir amoungs you all, I thought I would relay my experiance with my first car.

I bought it for £475 from a bloke with a mask and a black horse, I think his name was Dick. It ran ok and sounded reasonably quiet according to my brother in law who was advising me on the purchase. "It's an A series engine it'll run forever" he said. One week later on the M62 just about where the new Junction 8 is now, the engine threw a rod through the side and it came to an abrupt halt. One quick call home and I got my brother in law to toe me home. needless to say the from there on in I had a sharp learning curve on A series engines and how to fit a new one. Things didn't get much better after fitting the engine as a few months later the clutch went, then the head gasket then the piston rings. The new engine was almost as bad as the original but without a big hole in the side. I managed to fix the engine replacing all the parts and finally had a really great running motor, then somebody ran into the side of it. Didn't really have much luck with it but still had some great times in it, me and my brother used to go everywhere round Warrington in it and sometimes he would drive it round the block even though he was only 16. One of the things I remember the most is how hot the heaters were when blowing down in the foot well.

I ended up selling the car to a bloke my dad knew, he drove it for a couple of weeks before one of the back wheels came off and bounced through a solicitors window. I guess he didn't have much luck with it either.

Although the car was a real headache when I owned it, I still remember the great times I had in the car, and how easy it was to fix. I now have a Peugeot 406 Coupe 3Ltr V6 engine that has got nothing a novice can fix in the engine bay, I've still got all my tools for fixing the old Marina, but nothing to fix with them. I just hope I can find one like it to spend my spare time fixing rather than having to fix it so I can get to work.

Really enjoyed reading the other posts, keep this thread going.

John

Reply to
speedy

My first car was a Triumph Dolomite 1850 twin carb. I bought it off an old chap for £10 and it even had some tax left. I would love to have it back. The turning circle, the overdrive, the wooden dash

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The first car I had was a blue Heinkel Cabin (Kabin?) Cruiser in the late

1960's. It was actually badged as a Trojan. I had it given for nothing with the engine in bits and ran it for a year before selling it for £10. The main snag was the back window, made of perspex, which kept falling out. Even then parts were a nightmare to get but it was cheap to run. I remember the comprehensive instrumentation of clock and speedo, no fuel gauge, when the engine stopped you reached behind and turned to reserve tank.

The front opening door and low seat made it not too popular with girls in short skirts.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

RichardK ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Now *that* is funny.

Reply to
Adrian
1) Model Y Ford. A mate repainted it and I got it running, but never got it on the road. Sold it for a profit though.

2) Ford Prefect. Gutless, 3 speed gearbox, cable brakes (well they were called brakes!). Past my test in it, despite stalling under the 'panic stop' bit and having to restart using the starting handle with the examiner working the throttle. Drove it while at college and once got 8 students in it between the college and the pub. Want one again - No thanks.

3) Wolseley 8. Good for 90 (down hill), proper brakes, sun roof, opening windscreen, suicide front doors, roller blind on rear window worked by a lever over the drivers door, air horns, 6v quartz spot lamps, copper exhaust system with Herald baffle box as the only silencing, impossible to find spares for. Sold it to an American. Would have another one in a second.

4) A succession of Ford Anglia's and a Mk1 Escort. The Anglia with the Escort GT engine was reasonable, but none were very quick, although the Escort on Koni's and Formula Ford cross plies had reasonable handling.

5) Hillman Imp Sport (twin carb job). Seemed slower than the Fords, but on rally stages was quicker. Possible, but too small nowadays to be practical and the handling was an acquired taste.

6) Vauxhall Firenza SSL. Bottomless bucket of torque, top gear everywhere.

1st time I pulled away from the lights (not in top), I thought a drive shaft had gone, then I saw the smoke at the rear and felt the kick as the tyres found grip. God did that car go. Would have one as a everyday driver with the Wolseley as a weekend car.

7+ Onto boring modern cars (VW Sirocco, Cavalier SRi, Citroen BX 16v, Renault 25, Volvo V70 etc). Would possibly consider a BX16v again, if I could find a reliable one.

Richard See

for most things to do withcaravanning.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Ah yes, reminds me of sixth form, when we packed a number of people into a mate's Marina, one being sat astride the gearlever, shifting it everytime my mate shouted "change"!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Hmm. Let's see. 1948 For Prefect E93A. 6 volt lights that you needed a torch to see if they were on. A 3-speed gearbox that seemed to have been made by omitting second from a 4-speeder. Vacuum operated wipers that stopped as soon as you went fast enough to need them. And so much body roll that you needed castor wheels on the door handles.

Hell yes, I'd have another one if the price was right :-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey

That's nothing. We got 53 in our school coach.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No - I took the pre-test and they said that my driving style wasn't appropriate. And I didn't have many passengers then!

David

Reply to
David Lane

The journey was fine, apart from being stopped by the army at a checkpoint on the way back from the club we were at (it was in N. Ireland).

They took one look, counted and realised I was English. With a wave they sent me on my way.

David

Reply to
David Lane