More Escort daftness (you know you love it).

Hi all,

I'm clear on visual identification of the first 4 marks of Escort, the Mk

4 was like a Mk 3, but with a "droop snoot" wasn't it?

After that I get confused. They all look very much the same to me.

One thing I have spotted is that the earliest ones after the Mk 4 have got a kind of 2 horizontal slits air intake, and after that there is the familiar oval shape.....

so assuming I'm right so far, can anyone educate me into how to recognise the Mk 5, Mk 6 and Mk 7? That was it wasn't it?

Cheers for any help. :)

And the main mechanical differences?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

You're right about the Mk5.

The Mk6 was just a Mk5 with oval grille tacked on, and extended rear light clusters.

The Mk7 had smaller headlamps, the oval grille was mesh rather than slatted, and it had a redesigned interior.

The Mk7 was the car that the Mk5 should have been, whilst it was no class leader, it wasn't a bad car at all. The RS2000 was particularly good.

Reply to
SteveH

Came as a 5, 6 or 7.

One of my mates had a Mk7 RS2000. Have to say, it was a very good car. Apart from the signs of rust at 5 years old. Quick, tidy handling, decent interior, loads of kit, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Also, the models with front fogs had the well-known "smiley face" front end.

I thought the RS2000 was on a Mk5 or 6.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, now you mention it I can picture it. Saw a Mk6 (posibly a mk5, probably a 6 though) the other day, but could have sworn I'd seen it on an N or P plate one (Mk7).

Yep, not a bad motor to have. Potentially one of the few modern-ish Fords I might consider, just as I wouldn't rule out another Carlton, but it'd have to be a really mint 2.6 Diplomat or a Diamond 24v Estate. Maybe a 24v GSI, but in many ways I'd rather go for an immaculate 24v Senator if I could find one.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

As ever with Ford's stockpiling of cars it's certainly possible. I think the changeover was effectively during P - SWMBOs '97 P-reg is a Mk 7, but we've seen P-reg Mk 6s.

Reply to
Scott M

"AstraVanMan" wrote

I'll sell you my lovely 2.6 Auto Carlton Diplomat. (c:

£500+fuel to Londonshire secures it.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There's loads of cars I wouldn't mind owning, but at the moment I'd rather just stick with the Audi for the time being.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan