Where to look for classic Mustang...

Hi,

just a not-so-short question from one of the "old world" fans of American muscle cars...

Mustangs (classic ones, at least) are really expensive on this side of the pond, whereas buying one in the U.S. plus shipping, tax etc. still is quite affordable. Specialized dealers in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands usually ask (and get) about 200-300% of what a late 60s muscle car is worth in the U.S. (i.e. a junk 1972 Mustang >200k miles, rust everywhere, parts missing, still goes for US$ 15,000 here), so I'm planning on importing one by myself. I don't mind the paperwork (after all, I'm German ;-) ), but I do like to go "shopping" on my own, look at a car and then decide to buy it - not to look at some nice picture at a dealer's website, buy the car "blind" and then find out I don't get a "feeling" for it once it arrives here... it has to be love at first touch...

Can any of you recommend any dealers/areas/locations where I should go to find a Mustang (or another late-60s to early-70s muscle car)? As long as it's older than 30 years and in original condition (or as near as it can get) I can run it on an "H" numberplate (historic vehicle) here, so taxes won't eat me alive.

I was planning on going to the U.S. next february, and I really wouldn't mind taking something home with me...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steffen

Reply to
St. Ruete_r

Steffen:

I have a few friends that swear by this place...

Good Luck in your search..

Tony

Reply to
tony

Tony:

Thank you very very much - you just gave me back something I thought I'd lost some years ago: the belief that sometimes you might get an answer on the usenet that's not only quick but on topic and helpful! I'll have a thorough look at the website. A quick glance revealed some beauties I wouldn't mind owning - and the prices are (from my point of view) reasonable. Add 1,500 for shipping, about 25% for taxes/customs, and it's still cheaper than buying here.

So, thanks again - and to all the others out there, if you have any more ideas/websites/helpful hints, don't hesitate...

Steffen

Reply to
St. Ruete_r

If you would rather not pay dealer markup, Craig's List regularly lists many pre 74 mustangs for sale by owner.

You can search the urban areas you are interested in visiting...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I like browsing

. It's a compilation of weekly classified ad booklets that are published in every town in the U.S. There's also "The Bible of the Old Car Hobby,"
. The printed source material is an inch-thick (printed on tissue paper) magazine of nothing but classified ads for cars and parts that comes out every month. If it's not for sale in Hemmings it doesn't exist.

180 Out

St. Ruete_r wrote:

Reply to
one80out

Keep in mind... CL sellers and buyers are known to be somewhat flakey

Reply to
Brent P

You might give the following site a look:

CCTGENE

Known by whom?

I have bought and sold many Items on Craig's List, with never the slightest hiccup. YMMV. You kinda get what you ask for weather you shop in person at the dealer, or on Craig's List.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Practically everyone in chicago CL...

It's no different that other classifieds I'm sure... but keep in mind this guy is coming a long way....

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Cobra65K

That's interesting, but still I would have to see any car before buying - although shipping experience is helpful... I found those pics yesterday somewhere else, weird...

As to why I'm interested in original/restored (apart from the obvious reason that "the original" is what I prefer): taxes for cars aged 30+ that are in original condition (or were in a non-original condition 30+ years ago - with proof!) are about US$200 a year in taxes and insurance in Germany, regardless of engine/hp etc. as it's regarded a historic vehicle. All other cars are taxed by a combination of "pollution class" and engine size - and a non-original mustang with a 5+ litre engine would cost me about

1700 US$ a year as it is placed in the worst category... plus insurance of course.

Thanks to all the others as well for all your hints, I will check them out and might even be back here to ask more specific questions later as my preparations progress...

Steffen

Reply to
St. Ruete_r

Reply to