Jaguar XJS Driver's door handle

Hi, has anyone got an off side door handle for a 1989 XJS (exterior)

also can you advise any fitting tips as it looks like quite an involved strip down of the door is needed (due to some evil bastard forcing the lever upwards, preventing entry from outside) - any tips on electrifying the handles with a couple of thousand volts would also come in handy :-)

cheers Phil

Reply to
Phil Cook

Think they're the same as the SD1, so are held on by two nuts over studs bearing on a cup shaped backing plate. But first you have to disconnect two links one for the handle and one for the lock. They have clips which can be awkward to spring off but once this is done the link just pulls out. But whether you can get at the fixing nuts without first removing the lock, I dunno.

But surely the handles 'free wheel' when the doors are locked?

If they are the same as the last SD1s, I've got a pair in reasonable condition you could have - although obviously you'd need to use your lock barrels which are easily changed once they're off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman