Kill Switches

Hi,

Reading around the subject it seems the best place to kill the ignition circuit is between the coil and contact breaker + distributor. Frequently posters recommend adding an additional earth lead to the coil and closing a switch on it to kill the system.

I am a little concerned about leaving an energised primary circuit and was wondering if it would be better to place a switch into the lead between the coil and contact breaker. When open presumably this would break the primary and again dead car.

Does anyone have recommendation on the best way to disable the ignition circuit (and hopefully minimise the risk of hot wiring)?

Many thanks...

Reply to
mk_ii_rebuild

if they really want it then it will go, what is needed is a visible deterrent for joyrider protection, I have found the best is a disclok, that encloses the steering wheel. None of my cars have been stolen or broken into since using them.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not a brilliant way unless the design of switch is chosen with care as there are spikes of vastly more than 12 volts when the points open, and it could jump the switch contacts.

Why not in the 'live' feed? Usually easier to get to. Again, extending the CB circuit a long way as you would to get a switch inside the car isn't good practice for the same reason.

Double or treble immobilisation is best - include the starter relay and petrol pump if you can.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, if you have an electric petrol pump, breaking the feed with a kill switch could be an excellent option.

Think about the psychology... Irk hot wires the ignition and car bursts into life. 200 yards down the road, the engine stops when the float chamber empties and it doesn't restart. He is now well away from the quiet spot he took your car from, so he is not likely to waste time poking around trying to find out why it stopped, he will abandon it - without trying to nick the radio. You get your car back in one piece.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

But to hide any evidence he torches it before leaving, that is standard procedure. Far better to discourage any attempt in the first place.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

So you use a flip flop driving the ignition circuit. If the engine cuts every minute or so, it isn't going very far before being abandoned.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

yes, but why have all the associated damage and inconvenience of letting them try?

Reply to
mrcheerful

remove the rotor arm?

Reply to
Gordon

Don't try it on a car with a cat., though - even if has plug leads - could cause expensive damage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only "cat" my car has is next-door neighbours......

Reply to
Gordon