Rust removal (electrolysis)?

Electrolysis is great. Why didn't my science teacher tell me about this prosess? They told me how to make a nail rusty and how to copper plate one but not how to remove rust. Anyway thats not my question, these are:

  1. What is the best way to seal steel after using Electrolysis to remove the rust, will acid etch primer do the job?

  1. Can I seal it with some black (iron oxide and magnetite) deposit still on it, or will this continue to rust underneath new paint?

  2. If the black stuff is difficult to remove, is this because there is still too much rust present underneath the black gunk?

  1. If I continue to electrolise the part will the rest of the black turn to iron?

Please, If you can help or know of a useful page to check out.

Thanks

Reply to
<someone

It's what I'd do. 2K is best. Wear a mask so you don't die even with 1K stuff.

If you can't get it out, I would. If there's no air, it can't rust.

Not as far as I can tell.

No.

Google is pretty handy.

Reply to
Doki

Agreed.

No need for an etch primer on clean steel - and this is usually pretty clean straight after electrolysis. Your problem is that's _too_ clean and active. It can rust while you look at it, so a spray of WD40 at minimum is recommended. Spray zinc primer, if that's what it's getting eventually.

I'd suggest a wash of conc. phosphoric acid to stabilise anything that's still oxidised. However rust on mild steel isn't such a catalyst as on other alloys.

Eventually it will either reduce to iron, or more likely it will fall off. Gentle scrubbing assists it - you don't need to work hard at it.

Reply to
dingbat

How come etch primer is required for insurance bodywork repair then?

Reply to
Doki