Looking for a 2-seater classic

...for a friend. I've got too many cars already!

Anyway, said friend fancies a bit of classic motoring, but he's not got time for restoration work. And he's not that rich either. So he's after:

Tax exempt Convertible (preferably 2-seater) Something sporty (looking, rather than performance) Reliable (he'll be using it daily, 10 mile commute) Cheap (up to GBP2000 region)

He's thinking in terms of a Spitfire or Midget. I suggested he consider a Vitesse, and he wasn't too averse to that (though I think a Herald would be unacceptable).

Does anyone have or know of a suitable car that's for sale? Ideally near Cambridge.

Thanks

Reply to
Robert Pearce

If such a car existed, we'd all have one!

Reply to
SteveH

Not what your mates looking for but there is a nice cheap Bond equipe on E bay with 12 months MOT

Or this might make you smile

dilbert

Robert Pearce (classic snipped-for-privacy@bdt-home.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm....

Shirley a Vitesse looks identical to a Gerald to all bar the anoraksia?

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

Interesting definition of anoraksia...

I should say the friend in question is not entirely unaware of such things - he has owned a Spitfire in the past.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

Robert Pearce (classic snipped-for-privacy@bdt-home.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Relatively speaking, of course.

The original requirements said "Something sporty (looking, rather than performance)" - surely a Herald and a Vitesse do look near-as-dammit identical, bar an extra headlight and the odd bit of bacofoil.

I'm no expert, but I'd have thought a £2k Vitesse convertible would be fairly 'orrible.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

But the extra headlight makes a huge difference - at least to a fair few people. I'll grant that from many angles a 13/60 and a Vitesse are much more similar than a 13/60 and a 1200, but from that crucial front 3/4 view the twin lights emphasise the styling so much more.

Well I paid 2500 just over a year back for a really rather tidy Mk1

2-litre convertible - full restoration ten years back by a man I trust, and well maintained (if heavily used) since.
Reply to
Robert Pearce

This looks quite fun and is within budget:

Ford Consul Capri with 3.0 Essex V6 and autobox. Has been made into a convertible, the conversion has been neatly done with box section bracing along the sills and across the floor. As well as the tonneau cover shown in the photo, there is a folding softtop. Has 14 inch Sierra wheels with 1961 Mercury wheel trims. Car runs and drives, lights and wipers etc all work. There is rust in the floorpans, sills and leading edge of front wings but the doors, bonnet, boot lid, rear quarters and strut tops are all pretty solid. The interior is red and white with a bench seat and the original dash and steering wheel. Would make great summer fun car with a bit of work.

Reply to
Jonathan Halsall

I agree about the Vitesse being practical for everyday use-I used mine every day all year round and found it to be an enjoyable car that did everything well-and despite its reputation I never encountered any problems with it's handling.Unless the guy is dead set on a softtop I would have thought he might find a decent Vitesse Saloon for around £2k? As for convertibles the Sunbeam Alpine has everything going for it but I doubt you would get one without major rust problems in this price region.

Reply to
mark woody