Lost engine number

Years ago I had a spare block decked and forgot to make a note of the engine number. The machine shop destroyed the number of course, as it's rivetted to the edge of the deck. The engine is now built and in the car (I still have the original engine). Should I worry two hoots about what I tell DVLA? Or will one hoot be enough? ;-)

Reply to
Asolepius

Don't worry, if you are otherwise legal then there will never be a problem. Since the engine number is only riveted on then you could always fit the one from the original engine, after all, it won't hurt anyone, will it?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sure it's not stamped somewhere on the block as well? IIRC BMC A Series etc did this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a 998 A-series, but no sign of any other numbers other than 950 cast into it. Never mind, a trivial matter.

Reply to
Asolepius

Get some number & letter punches, 'invent' a new engine number, stamp in onto the block and submit the new number to the DVLA. This method certainly works for chassis numbers, anyway... well, it worked for me about 6 or 7 years ago...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I can't see the problem, after all if you apply to the DVLA for a new chassis number they'll issue you one. As they won't issue engine numbers I see no reason why you shouldn't invent one. Give it the correct prefix code for the engine and pick a suitably high random number. Stamp it in and away you go.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Here this plate was always removed and the block stamped. If the problem did arise them the registering authority would issue a new number

Reply to
Rob

I remember seeing pics of both the plate and where it was stamped - but not in the only w/s manual I now possess - for the Midget. Perhaps it was in the driver's handbook?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you acid etch the block the original number will show.

Reply to
Rob

Provided the area hasn't been heated, that is. A good pro thief knows this, heating takes the stress patterns that acid etching can show out of the casting altogether.

Reply to
Dan Drake

Just write it on with a CD-marker pen. The DVLA don't care about engine numbers!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Where? I can only find the metal tags on my '62 and '64 engines.

Reply to
Howard Rose

A-series engines only have an aluminium plate rivetted onto the top face of the block. If the block has been decked then the plate will have been removed. I don't see how you can detect the number as the plate is embossed from underneath before being fitted.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Perhaps my memory is hazy. ;-) I seem to remember the owner's handbook showing the locations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The 1962 and 1963 handbooks don't say :-) But there is a big "850" stamped into the 'back' of the block, if that's what you meant.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

IIRC, it's not stamped, but cast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I have mentioned previously, here the plate has to be removed and the engine number stamped into the block. This has to be done prior to the first registration.

Reply to
Rob

will one hoot be enough? number. The machine shop destroyed the number of course, as it's rivetted to

still have

Reply to
tby

Sorry, I meant cast...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

OK, but that's a local requirement. The only block I have that's been stamped is on an engine rebuilt by Swiftune and it has their number on it.

Reply to
Richard Porter