Where's my engine number ?

The ebay purchased S3 mentioned in "towing a Series III" a while back on here arrived safely at it's new home behind my 110 TD without a problem - other than my TomTom dying on route. I've now had a good look over it and am very pleased it - every panel is straight and dint free and it's had a very professionally done recent spray job.

Have a look at

for some pics - if you've got a few minutes to waste.

I'm working through a few issues such as new rad - have you seen the price of these? - all due world wide copper shortage apparently. Thanks to Mr Beamends for pointing me towards PK Rads in Stoke for a possible source of a reconditioning service. I coughed when Mr PK asked for =A3120 to recondition it, whilst backing out quickly he pointed me down the road to landranger services - they had a brand new genuine one in stock for =A380 - fitted within 30 minutes and all is well.

The back end of the exhaust is rotten - I've got a new back section but apparently the intermediate part is dependant on engine number - I've found two numbers so far one facing upwards on the top of the block (ERC5899CA) the other lower down facing the wing (36119037) - is either of these the engine number?

Other than the above everything else seems to work as it should, other than a slight dimming of the side lights when either indicator is on - is that likely to be a MOT fail point?

Reply to
Sean

Sean uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'd think you would be ok on the MOT, but sounds like a bad earth, not unusual on any aged Landy.

I find it worthwhile actually runnind an earth from the battery to the earth wires at either wing, you will be surprised the difference it will make to the brightness of all the lights!

Lee D - Just up the road

Reply to
Lee_D

36119037 is the engine number and decodes as: Series III petrol 2286cc 8:1 compression ratio though bear in mind that the head may not be original so this may be wrong. 5-bearings

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Yep that makes sense, that's what it is - how did you work that out?

Reply to
Sean

A very handy web site:

can check your chassis number there too if you like, look for iton the front right suspension hanger, in front of the wheel andvisible from the outside once the crap is cleaned off. There shouldalso be a plate pop riveted on the bulkhead either inside the cab orin the engine bay. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Ohh arrr Doc D you got mail . Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around 27 Feb 2007 06:40:21 -0800, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

ERC-summat sounds like a part number.

Reply to
Austin Shackles