Lucas wiper motor connections

Hi Folks,

I am trying to understand the wiring to the wiper motor on my 1969 Rebel. As far as I can tell, it's original. What I have is...

1) A switch in the dashboard. Supply is green (switched with ignition). Two wires to the motor: in the "off" poition green/red is live and in the "on" position green/brown is live.

2) A Lucas wiper motor with circular motor. Four wires leading to a block connector: black (earth), green (switched supply), green/brown (from switch), green/red (from switch).

It works happily at the moment - except that it doesn't park. Connecting green/brown and earth happily runs the motor. I presumed that the green supply to the motor was for parking, but what is the green/red for? It's not shown on the Regal wiring diagram, but is on the Robin diagram. Do I have a two speed motor but wired for one speed only?

Any advice or help gratefully received!

Ian

-
Reply to
Ian Johnston

Two possibilities.

1) The park switch inside the wiper motor is faulty. 2) There's no constant live to the wiper motor. A wiper motor should have a minimum of ground, constant 12V and switched 12V, the constant being to keep the motor running until the park position is reached.
Reply to
Conor

: > 2) A Lucas wiper motor with circular motor. Four wires leading to a : > block connector: black (earth), green (switched supply), green/brown : > (from switch), green/red (from switch). : > : > It works happily at the moment - except that it doesn't park. : : Two possibilities. : : 1) The park switch inside the wiper motor is faulty.

I think that's the likeliest.

: 2) There's no constant live to the wiper motor. A wiper motor should : have a minimum of ground, constant 12V and switched 12V, the constant : being to keep the motor running until the park position is reached.

Nope, the green supply is happily live. Of course it may be broken inside, and when I can get hold of a spare motor I'll swap and investigate.

But I'm still really puzzled about the 12V supply that comes on when the switch is "off".

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

So far, so good.

Green/red is left hand flasher.

Green/brown is switch to reversing lamp.

Or should be. ;-)

A two speed motor of this age (IIRC) has five connections including earth. The 'high speed' wire colour is Blue/Light Green

The normal colours for a single speed are:-

Green. 'Live' from ignition switch to NO contact on parking switch. Red/Light Green. Motor Brown/ Light Green. Common on parking switch Black. Motor earth and NC on parking switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

: : > Two wires to the motor: in the "off" poition green/red is : > live and in the "on" position green/brown is live. : : Green/red is left hand flasher.

Sorry, should have said "light green" but thought I'd save space...

: The normal colours for a single speed are:- : : Green. 'Live' from ignition switch to NO contact on parking switch. : Red/Light Green. Motor : Brown/ Light Green. Common on parking switch : Black. Motor earth and NC on parking switch.

Can you explain what "common on parking switch means" - sounds as if this may be the problem area. I've only dealt with the "square motor" Lucas systems before, as on the Herald, which just have one live feed to the wiper-type parking switch.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Should have given the switch colours too.

Brown Green: This is the feed from the ignition switch Red Light Green: To motor (live when on) Brown Light Green: To parking switch (live when off)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a changeover, or two way switch. Thus:-

Black O (Normally closed) / / Brown/LG O (Common) Green O (Normally open)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

: In article , : Ian Johnston wrote: : > But I'm still really puzzled about the 12V supply that comes on when : > the switch is "off". : : Should have given the switch colours too. : : Brown Green: This is the feed from the ignition switch : Red Light Green: To motor (live when on) : Brown Light Green: To parking switch (live when off)

So what does the brown/light green supply do? My other old wiper motors manage very happily with just a live supply to the motor...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: In article , : Ian Johnston wrote: : > Can you explain what "common on parking switch means" - sounds as if : > this may be the problem area. : : It's a changeover, or two way switch. Thus:- : : : Black O (Normally closed) : / : / : Brown/LG O (Common) : : : Green O (Normally open)

Wouldn't that supply 12V from the brown/light green directly to earth (black), causeing interesting fusery?

I think I am going to have to strip down a spare motor and see what's what...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Sounds like a broken park switch inside the wiper motor.

rm

Reply to
me