type 181 wiper motor

Is it possible to overtighten the nut that holds the wiper motor to the windshield frame? I put in a "new" motor that had been tested and was known to work (according to

at least). It moved a little when I first turned it on but then started to overheat and smoke. Did I overtighten the nut or was it a bad motor to begin with?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew

I doubt tightening hurt it.

Here's what I would do: Disconnect *all* the wires from the wiper plug-in. Find the Red and Green wires which come out of the motor itself. With the wiper frame grounded, touch a Hot wire momentarily to the Red (Hi) wire and then to the Grn (Lo) wire.

If the motor runs at each speed without binding, then I would say there is a wiring problem causing the over heating.

If it doesn't run at *either* speed, look for something jammed in the mechanism.

There is wiper wiring stuff on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Well, I have the one I'm replacing. The only problem I had with that was a broken bushing or two. So I think what I'll do is simply grab a soldering iron and put the bushings from the new motor in the old one.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mathew

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Mathew

Just a guess, but I'd bet that you had the wiper arms attached but didn't have the radial arm adjusted right. When you turned it on it turned a bit until one of the wiper arms jammed against something and then stalled the motor, which promptly overheated.

Remove both wiper arms and try it again.

-

Jim Adney

Hmmm...wow. You're good. The arms did move an inch or two and then stopped. I didn't notice anything blocking the path but I'll do what you suggest and see how it goes.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew