Mahindra Rally

And also the top of many scrap yard heaps, which is really where these appalling rebadged Fords belong..............a dreadful shame that the once proud name of Jaguar, is now being dragged through the mud, being linked to mass produced junk such as the XJ40!

Reply to
Rick

Did I mention that it's the National Mahindra Register Rally next weekend -

2/3/4 July 2004 at the Wagtail 4x4 centre? Details at
Apologies if I did, but this thread seems to have lost the plot a bit :O)

Mahindraman

Reply to
Mahindra

We just disappeared off into a Troll fest. In summary - Mahindras aren't very good but they aren't as crap as Robin Reliants and there's a Mahindra show on so go to it and see ho crap they are or aren't - just don't go in a Robin Reliant :-)

What's a 'Robin Reliant', then?

Is it related to an Escort Ford?

Reply to
SteveH

Foolish boy, they are related to Scimitar Reliants and Kitten Reliants - the Escort Ford is as far removed from a Robin Reliant as a Minor Morris or Herald Triumph - ;-)

Rick ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's almost as if the last decade never happened...

Reply to
Adrian

Physician, heal thyself.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

You post any way you like. If you are too antisocial to post in a legible and acceptable manner, then you will just get ignored. Up to you really.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

"J" realised it was Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:08:46 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

You obviously like talking to yourself as you're fast losing your audience.

Plonk.

Reply to
Yippee

Huh - am I getting into trouble for top posting? I do hope so for I love to top post -it's quick, it's easy and it flies in the face of those organised bottom posters and their rules. I say top post or bottom post - do what you like and like what you do :-)

Which was designed and built by Jaguar themselves, not Ford.

The Ford built Jags are the best ones probably ever. Maybe not the most charismatic, but the best built and most reliable. The Diseasel powered S type is reckoned by many to be a better drivers car than the BMW 530d. That wouldn't have happened back in the 80's with such wonders as the 2.9 XJ6...

Oh, and yes, I do know there's a rally for Mahindrance owners.

Reply to
Pete M

he he - but you're talking to me :-) and now I'm bottom posting - Oh what fun

I would not deem a Jaguar made in the 80s any better than the ford crap made today...............Jaguar was effectively finished after the BL takeover in the 70s!

If you feel the qualities of mass produced charactorless tin boxes, such as the XJ40 (which was not designed by Jaguar proper, which ceased to exist in the 70s), are something you feel would surpass those of a 3.8 Mk 2 or a properly prepared E type, then I guess you have very poor taste indeed!

Reply to
gaspode

*plonk*

QED

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

What has really amazed me is the number of "experts" that frequent these newsgroups. All the posters have, or so it would seem by their in depth knowledge on how "crap" Mahindras are, been past owners. It would appear that comparisons between what is effectively a 1950's designed car with a

1970's designed engine, are being made with the latest eurocrap or Japanese 4x4's. which baulk at the slightest sign of a puddle. If comparisons are being made with a LR series or a SJ, well I've owned a 1972 SIII diesel and a 1984 SJ, which were both slow, noisy, uncomfortable, wandered all over the road, brakes - eventually and had all the creature comforts of a cow shed. Off road, they were great, but there again, a Mahindra is certainly their equal - we are talking bog standard here with MT tyres.

Do Landies and SJs get slated? Well not very often. They each have their place and their followers. Lighten up people. To each their own. If you don't like Mahindras then fine, but don't slag something off that you have no personal experience of. To anyone who has had a bad personal experience of Mahindras, well, I sure there are plenty of other Marques out there with equal horror tales. The perfect car has not and probably never will be built.

Mahindraman

Reply to
Mahindra

In news:cbr77o$i1d$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, gaspode decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Although Jaguar in the 80's was owned by Jaguar themselves? No nasty BL management, no nasty Ford management. Jaguar looked after Jaguar, and the best they could come up with was the XJ40. Ford have done a better job with Jaguar than Jaguar had since the late 50's.

If I were to go on a drive across Europe in a Jag, I'd much rather take a new XJR than an E-type or Mk2 3.8. Mainly because I'd make it to my destination in the XJR.

Reply to
Pete M

Yay! I made a kill file for having an opposing opinion - go me!

Anyway Mahindra Man - how many Mahindra's are signed up to appear?

with

Very possibly....................but this being the case, why on earth do you post on uk.rec.cars.classic, when you dont really seem to have much interest in proper classic cars?

Reply to
gaspode

In news:cbs6so$85a$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, gaspode decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Because "classic" doesn't mean the car has to be unreliable, badly built, or liable to dissolve at the first sign of rainfall.

Some of the cars I've owned I'd consider to be classics.

The XJ-S I sold a couple of months ago is a recognised classic, but it was a bloody awful car. The Sierra XR4x4 I own now will probably never be a recognised classic, but it's a fabulous car My Capri is probably regarded as a classic by now, it's insured as one anyhow...

Reply to
Pete M

Hi J

Last year at the1st rally, we had 14 turn up from as far away as Devon and Durham. This year we are expecting between 30-40 if the promises are anything to go by.

Mahindraman

Reply to
Mahindra