Monochrome number plates

Just spotted a brand-new BMW 4x4 with (presumably) a personalised plate in the form ABC 123 J. The plates are white characters on black background.

Is that correct? I'd have thought the old-style plates would be permitted through the age of the car, rather than the age of the registration.

Budgie

Reply to
Budgie

Budgie ( snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Spot on.

(white/silver) on black plates can only be used on cars registered before

1/1/73 - it's nothing to do with the actual number.
Reply to
Adrian

The law is still being flouted, in my area there is a a brand new Pug with an A prefix cherished number with black perspex plates. Most of these plate apparently are sold via the internet from the Irish Republic --- still rather more of a "free state" than the UK.

That however is not as bad as the old VW Polo I see occaisionally on which all of the numbers have been heavily doctored to look like letters and two of the leters doctored to look like numbers ! I was stuck behind it on a twisty back road for several minutes (the owner never drives faster than 20 mph) and it took me ages to figure out what the undoctored index mark was.

Reply to
IbroxJim