NUMBER PLATES AND REGISTRATION MARKS

im after a list of number plate registration marks to print off , ive been on the DVLA site but it only goes from 2001 - 2049 I need something that shows previous years, i.e. A reg Jan 63 to Dec 63 right up to the present day and a few years beyond if poss, anyone know of any other sites that list it ?

tia

Reply to
reg

Try this one:

David.

Reply to
David Linley

David, many thanks, just what im after.

Reply to
reg

Very interesting site. Thanks.

As you may be an expert of this, what is the origin of ABC1234 type numbers which I often see on coaches, and often in a series with the letters meaning something. Are they available for to order from the DVLA ?

On a different subject, I'm amazed the number of people messing with the spacing on their plates and some even putting silly little dashes on the bottom of "1"s, etc to try to make a word or personalized plate. I thought this would be both illegal and a cause for MOT failure, but I see it more and more. Also strange fonts - eg italic and small. Personally, I like to be much more incognito! Why draw attention.

Cheers

Reply to
default

default ( snipped-for-privacy@default.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

IIRC all ABC1234 plates will include an I,J,Z somewhere in them - they're from Nor'n Iron.

Usual story - buy 'em from one of the number companies - buy one of the weekend broadsheet papers with a motoring supplement, and there's

*hundreds* advertising. Going rate for an ABC1234 is usually a couple of hundred quid unless the numbers or letters are something "meaningful"

Which cave have you been living in for the last decade or two? This is hardly new.

It is.

It is.

Adrian

OK. I'll look a bit closer next time I see one, but I didn't realise that they all had I or J or Z in there; thus making them originally Northern Ireland.

I was cryogenically frozen in 1964 and recently resucitated.

I thought cops would write up tickets for it, leading to a fine and license points.

Reply to
default

In message , default writes

Generally speaking, I think what's left of the traffic police patrols have better things to do than pull people over purely for having a mis-spaced number plate. On the other hand, it's something they might well stop you for if they don't like the look of you but can't think of a better reason.

I'd like to think that most would have the decency to just tell you to get it sorted "and if I see you with these plates on this car again..." Others might give you a ticket, forcing you to get them replaced and then pay to obtain proof that you'd done it from an MOT testing station. Worst case (if you have a 'personalised' plate) is that they can get the DVLA to take the registration off you and issue your car with another one of their choice. I'd imagine that's a last resort for persistent offenders.

The mis-spaced plates are on the decline since the legislation came out to say that only approved outlets could produce number plates (and then only on proof of the appropriate documents by the owner.) New plates should have the supplier's name and postcode on them, meaning that if you're stopped for having a badly spaced number plate, it's not just you that's in trouble. Certainly, if you see a car with new style XX99XXX registration plates in anything other than the standard font, you can be pretty sure that the owner has gone out of his or her way to get them (probably via mail order) and is fully aware that they're not legal for road use. For earlier registrations, they could claim that they bought them over the counter and weren't aware that they were illegal.

Of course if you're not the first owner of the car, there's always the good old "they were on there when I bought it... honest!" line.

Reply to
David Thornber

default ( snipped-for-privacy@default.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That or the tester just ignores it. I've had a few cars with French-style plates on them - English number, just a plate made in France. Different, slimmer typeface. Strictly speaking, illegal. I've had a couple of plods have a "quiet chat" over the years about them, but no real hassle, including MOT. Personally, I don't see the real problem, as they're perfectly legible, so I'm not stressed. If ever an MOT man complains, then

- fine - I'll lob some UK-style ones on for the test.

You really *have* been living in a cave, haven't you?

Reply to
Adrian

ISTR that an MOT tester once told me that they were more likely to spot the front one than the back one. A visiting PC commented on my wife's plate, and the fact that it was actually legally spaced!

We did originally have an illegally-spaced plate until the MOT man pointed it out. I have since used it as a spare when the legal one got broken, on the basis that an illegaly-spaced plate is better than a smashed one.

I've never been pulled for any of them.

I suspect, however, that if you get photographed by a speed camera they would do you for the illegal plate at the same time?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@FARINAb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If it's "illegal" enough, you might get off both... Or at least, that's probably the logic that some of 'em use...

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed. I know someone with the registration J111 xxx. It is printed as Ji11 because of where the stud is placed on the plate.

They got a parking ticket and the ticket actually read Ji11. Needless to say they heard no more when they never paid it.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

as per the testers manual : " any feature on a number plate that has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters, so that the true identity of the vehicle is less easily identified."

customer booked his in today, same date every year with the number plate mounting bolt making the letters appear different, i said you need to change them before you come in, no problem he says ive got the spare set in the boot, he puts them on outside the station & whips them off as soon as he's paid ! which is duly noted in my advise book, same thing every year !

Reply to
reg

This is a fuller list of place names:

The list of "banned" letters was released a while back, IIRC it was quite a substantial list with many combinations that are probably very obscure and/or outdated.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.