New syle V5/ transferable plates

How can I tell from the new stye logbook (V5C) whether a registration number is transferable? I've put my car up for sale and it's the first (in some cases the only) question people seem to ask.

Thanks,

Matt B

Reply to
Matt

IIRC, the only numbers you can't transfer are those age related ones issued to a car which has had its original transferred, and Q plates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave - but how can I tell form a new style log book if the number is age related or original?

Reply to
Matt

Matt ( snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If it doesn't say it isn't, then it's not. Non-transferable numbers say so on the logbook - or at least, they did. I've not seen a EuroV5 yet.

Not quite true. I've got one bike registered on an age related (I know it is, as I registered it), which doesn't say it's non-transferable. A c*ck- up by DVLA, I suspect. Not one I'm complaining about, though I have no plans to sell the number.

You can't.

will tell you the ranges used for age-related plates, though, assuming it's a pre-'63 plate. I've also got a couple of imports on age-related plates, but they're post-63 so don't show on that list. Again, they're not non-transferable.

Reply to
Adrian

equals "if it says it is" then "it's not"...

Not quite right Adrian? ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete

Yes. When the number transferring off old cars game started - probably about '70 or so, the new number issued was still transferrable. I've known of people getting issued with an equally as valuable one in the old days. Then they stopped it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Picky, picky, picky...

If it doesn't explicitly state that it is not transferable, it is not non- transferable.

Happy?

Reply to
Adrian

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This one's a pre-suffix (three letters, three numbers) issued in 2001. It's a fairly "nice" one, too.

It wasn't the only thing they got wrong, either.

It's registered as a "Historic Vehicle", with date of first reg as 2001, but "declared new in GB by independent importer" - which I definitely didn't, as I produced proof of it being '62 - which is how it got the pre- suffix plate...

I reckon it must be the only new-in-2001 "historic vehicle" in the country.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, my "stickler" head was first off the shelf this morning...

Christ, all those negatives...hang on...

If it /does/ day that it /is/ transferable, it /is/ transferable... but that'd be too easy wouldn't it!? I blame the DVLA myself, all those Welsh-English-Welsh translations...

Look, if I don't say I'm not happy then.... ;-) Enuff

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If it says "not transferable", then it means it. Otherwise...

Is *that* better?

Reply to
Adrian

I'll bet any money it's not transferrable, then. Unless someone's made a mistake. If so, why not try getting it put on retention if it looks like it's valuable, and sell the vehicle with the new one they issue?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have recently bought a 1936 Morris, the previous owner whose car the family had been in from new retained the original number and it was issued with a non-transferable number.

There is a good chance that I may be able to get the original number, would DVLA transfer it back? I am not bothered what happens to the number currently on the car.

Reply to
Les Ashton

Les Ashton ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yeh, that's no problem. You just can't sell the one that's on there currently.

Reply to
Adrian

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The V5 doesn't say it's not transferable.

Hey, it's DVLA. This is not outside the realms of possibility. I wasted six hours sat at Stanmore VRO waiting for a ten second "vehicle inspection" and to be given my paperwork back.

I'll probably try that. If I can be bothered... It'd have to be VERY valuable to be worth going through that with soddin' Stanmore again...

Reply to
Adrian

If it's transferrable, yes. And I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a tranferable number issued to a 1960 Herald Saloon I imported from Jersey in 2000. 18 months later the car was sold to another Jersey resident, so I got to keep the number, theoretically worth £2000 but to date nobody's wanted it ....... When the number was transferred, DVLA issued an appropriate-to-year-2000 "X" plate to the car! Not a big issue to me as the car was to be re-registered in Jersey, but the clerk at Bristol VRO pointed out that it was a mistake when I handed in the V5 to obtain an export certificate...... Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

It would say somewhere on the reg document.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

You can transfer plates TO the car to "cover up" the non-transferrable plate, but you just can't transfer the age-related one.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It also happened to a friend of mine. He imported a car and was given an age-related plate. The V5 came through and had no mention of the number being non-transferrable... So my friend sold the plate, and was reissued with another one 20 number down the line of the one he sold! Sadly, that one WAS non-transferrable.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

There's a 1970's SAAB in Bournemouth that's running on "new" N-plates!