New syle V5/ transferable plates

And when you transfer the "cover up" plate on to some other car, does it get the old non transferable plate back or a new one?

Peter Hill

In theory you should get the original non-transferrable plate back. But this *is* the DVLA!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I've always found the DVLA very helpful in these matters. Try mailing them from the website:

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W.

As long as you don't try and get an answer out of Swansea! I had to do a transfer in May between 3 vehicles and I was starting to lose it......... 2 numbers transfered (one to retention) I took all of the paperwork into the local VRO (Edinburgh) and they had it sorted in seconds, they were very helpfull. (not like phoning Swansea) One of the transfers came back with a letter to say that one number was non transferable, I had a row with Swansea who swore blind that the letter was correct.... before finally being phoned by the local VRO, 'Sorry our mistake we will send you a letter confirming'!

I used to have local direct line for the Edinburgh office and it was very handy, sorting out Swansea's mistakes, no V5, lost SORN details etc etc!, but now you have to fight with Swansea to contact the local office, Though they always phone you back.

Des

Reply to
Des

Related but not quite the same, the last tax reminder came with a note that the V5 on my vehicle would be replaced "within three months of renewal". It hasnt been replaced, not that I expect DVLA to stick to any deadlines, draconian punishments for missing a due date are only handed out to drivers.

So, has anyone else received a new style V5 after renewing their tax yet?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, within a fortnight for our modern car. Nothing for the classic yet though, despite both being renewed at the same time.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yes, and within the quoted time period.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Steve Firth ( snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just got our first V5C through, on a car that was taxed about 3 months ago.

None of the others have been taxed since that, though. The XM's due end of next month, so we'll see how quickly that comes through.

Reply to
Adrian

5 taxed and 1 sorn cars this year between Feb and July - no new V5C's yet...

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Yep, renewed tax on the TR7 end of July and the new V5 came within a couple of weeks.

Pete W

Reply to
Pete W.

I think my basket cases that have been in bits and untaxed before SORN came out are about to get a change of colour. Should it be brown or red?

Peter Hill

If you change the colour and get a new registration document, then you will HAVE to decalre sorn. If the vehicle has been off the road from before the sorn time, then you may as well leave everything alone :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Howard Rose ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

NOOO! Our Friends In Swansea will take that to be a declaration of scrapping. You need to ask 'em for a V5C before next summer. Yes, it'll take 'em into SORN, but that's not the end of the world. One tick, a scrawl, and drop it into the PO. Wow.

Reply to
Adrian