Number plates

Decided to finish off the SD1 with a new front number plate. The old one had a chunk missing - courtesy of next door's Audi tow bar. But still legal. It was from Halfords, so I went back there for a new one, and took the old one so they could match the style. Whatever anyone says about them, they've got a car park.;-)

Eventually, in a quiet store, I got an assistant to actually assist. I had my driver's licence and credit cards and also business cards with me. But he wanted either a driver's licence with pic or a passport. And I've got neither. He was reading it all from some leaflet and it seemed I couldn't satisfy *any* of the requirements. Despite just wanting a replacement for the damaged plate I had with me.

So I left the car in their car park and went to the nearby accessory shop

- which I like, but it's on a red route so difficult to park. No problem there. Apart from first making the plate with a totally wrong number. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But he didn't actually assist, did he?

I trust you have kept the damaged number plate. Then you can go back to Halfords whenever you like, and if you spend a fruitless 5 minutes each time failing to convince them that you are the genuine owner of that number plate, it is a small penalty for free parking while you shop where you really want to.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I just bought a new tool cabinet from my local one. It was ex-display clearance, so there was £44 off. But they couldn't find the keys. Now my tool cabinet lives in a locked grage anyway, so I never bother to lock it. I persuaded them to knock another tenner off as, at worst, I would have to force the lock on the bottom flap. Lucky me, when I got it home, the key to the other cabinet opened it with a bit of jiggling!

Luckily for me my local accessory shop, Fittapart, also trades as "Car-Parts Direct" or "Parts For Older Cars" (see Practical Classics), and I am so well known there they never even ask for ID for a number plate!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

The stuff you need and they have to record is in this lot:

Vehicle registration mark of plate to be sold Customer name Customer address Method of purchase (in person, telephone, Internet, mail) Method of payment and payment details (credit/debit card number or cheque number if appropriate); NB this information will need to be held in a secure and discrete environment. A traceable number taken from original documents, not copies, presented to the supplier. These would be: A driver number A document reference number taken from section D of the Vehicle Registration Document [V5]. NB If only the V5/2 is available the document reference number is shown in the bottom right hand corner. In the case of plates fitted to a vehicle referred to a body repairer by an insurer, it is only necessary to record the insurer's reference and policy number. The acceptable documents for verification of personal details should be: A current photocard driving licence (preferred); or Bank/Building Society statement or a recent utility bill with one of the following:- Current paper driving licence Passport Credit/debit card with photograph Travel pass card with photograph Foreign national identity card AND ... The acceptable proof of entitlement should be: Registration Document [V5] preferred (this includes V5/2). The 11 digit 'document reference number' in Section D should be recorded, or Certificate of entitlement to a mark [V750], or Cherished transfer retention document [V778], or Vehicle Licence Renewal [V11], or Authorisation slip [V948] from DVLA local office with official DVLA stamp. This will apply when DVLA authorises a customer to buy plates bearing a particular registration mark, e.g. in the case of a cherished transfer, or An extract from the schedule of vehicles supplied by a hire/leasing company, or A letter of authority from Fleet Operators on company headed note paper with contact details stating that the company holds the Registration Document [V5] and quoting either the document reference number or the vehicle identification number, or Certificate of Vehicle Registration / temporary export certificate [V379].

So technically he was right to refuse.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Almost makes you think identity cards might be a good idea. Do you think they would accept a WW2 one - I've still got mine ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

[huge list]

I needed a new plate last week. Couldn't find all the paperwork I thought I needed for a couple of days, so the car had to go around with a smashed plate. When I finally found everything I went into the local place, and ordered an ally silver/ black plate (72 car, silver and black acrylic ones fitted, wanted something more robust). I expected to have to dig everything out my pockets, instead they took the number and phoned the supplier, who sent it through a couple of days later :)

However, the chap infront of me needed a new normal yellow/ black plate, and had to provide his paperwork.

Reply to
Stuffed

[43 lines deleted]

But if you get them from a supplier in the Irish Republic no such problems!

Alternatively get them as "show plates, not for use on the public highway" then you can have anything on them and don't need ID.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Not true (although it probably happens) see DVLA:

  1. A customer wants a number plate to display on a 'show' vehicle. It will only be used off-road and never on a public highway. What documentation is required? Any number plate designed to be fixed on a vehicle or trailer must comply with the regulations, irrespective of whether it is used on the road or not. Proof of entitlement for the vehicle and proof of personal ID will be required.
Reply to
mrcheerful

There's a small accessory shop in South Wimbledon which still has a stock of white stick-on numbers and letters. No questions asked - I bought KOY

321 D for 10p per character. A bit of black Fablon, and on the bonnet it went.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

What is the definition of a number plate? What if it has no numbers on it? What if it bears no identification relating to the vehicle or any other specific vehicle? You might want for example, "MGA 1500" just to cover up your number plate at a show. Is that practice now illegal?

Reply to
Richard Porter

Isn't the naivety of politicians and law makers wonderful. They seem to think that surrounding something like this with rules and regulations stops the criminal fraternity dead in their tracks from sticking false plates on a car

Malcolm.

Reply to
Malcolm

Yes, it's like the way they think that having details recorded on computer will make people tax their cars. But don't get me started on that...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Well it won't stop the serious villains for one second. It might just make it slightly more inconvenient for every Tom, Dick and Harry to use false plates for the purpose of avoiding speeding tickets and the congestion charge.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Stuffed ( snipped-for-privacy@rse.non) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's because his is legal.

Yours isn't.

Yours is legal to put on a pre-73 car, but it's illegal to make and sell, because it doesn't conform to the rules on font/style/whatever...

Mad, innit?

Reply to
Adrian

And the stupid thing is if you did this before a certain year (2001?) it's legal, but if you do it today on another, identical car, it's not.

Reply to
Stuffed

Absolutely barking. My new plate is identical to many I've had or seen over the years, yet is illegal to make and sell for road use (or is it just illegal full stop, thanks to the idiots in charge?)? But I can still fit it?

Red tape and mushy minds going OTT as per bloody usual then.

Still, I like my shiny new plate, and it should survive pheasant strike better than a plastic one :)

Reply to
Stuffed