Re: Herald chassis repair questions

After checking out my dodgy MOT fail sheet (spot the garage trying to rip me

> off!) for my poor little Herald 13/60 convertible, I need to do the > following: > > Small patch in OSF inner wing about 30x15mm. > Small patch (each side) in floor towards base of B pillar about 30x30mm. > Small patch on leading edge of OSF outrigger about 20x20mm. > > Now the bigger bits: > > Both chassis side rails need repairs (quite large ones, so I might as well > replace them), as does the outer 150mm of the OS centre outrigger on all > three sides. > I realise the cosmetic sills unscrew, and I've got a pair of step repair > panels that I may as well fit at the same time, but is it possible to > replace the chassis side rails with the body in situ? And can I simply patch > up a new end for the outrigger, as it looks physically impossible to cut the > old one off with the body in situ and the car on standard axle stands? Do > you reckon I could accomplish this little lot in a weekend (I'm a pretty > good welder and metalworker!)? > > As ever, help and advice from those more knowledgeable about Heralds than > myself is much appreciated! > > Dale Turley >
'66 Singer Vogue IV (Brit Difrunt)> '71 Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible> '73 Honda CB250K4 > '01 Peugeot 306 Meridian > '02 Citroen C3 1.4HDi 16v Exclusive > >

I'm no expert on these cars (or even an amateur), but I do remember shoring up a friend's Herald chassis with bolted on angle iron about 35 years ago. It looked a bit like a bedstead afterwards. Anyway, at the time we were able to do this with the body on, but perhaps my specs are rose-tinted these days.

Reply to
Les Rose

I don't see why not. The body mounting bolts pass through them, so you'll need to remove them first. Unless your car has been botched in the past, the side rails should then just knock off. They're not welded on, just held in place by the bolts.

You'd only be able to weld the sides and not the top, which may be an issue. As it's only a "temporary" repair, you could box in the bottom to add strength back in (and hide the lack of weld at the top!). Alternatively, I'm trying to think whether removing the gearbox tunnel cover would give you enough access to do the job properly and replace the whole outrigger. It just about does on the Vitesse with overdrive, dunno about the Herald. You may need to use a hammer and chisel instead of an angle grinder to cut off the old one, but the main chassis rails should be tough enough to stand up to that.

Possible, I'd have thought. Not sure about including the step repair panels though, that might be pushing it a bit. And are you sure you're not going to find any other nasties while you're at it?

Good luck!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The siderails are (or at least should be) welded to the outriggers, but not to the body. Common bodges include not welding the siderails, or (worse) welding them to the body.......

The step repairs are double skinned and can provide some grief if the body mounts beneath are also rotted. A single skin replacement can be dropped in quickly, but if you decide to restore the area with the double skin then it can be quite a fiddly job (but worth it for the improved appearance IMHO), Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

Ho hum! Not my fault, it was like that when I bought it, honest. Doesn't seem to be causing a problem, but thanks for pointing it out.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

As I suggested it's very common. In theory it will allow a little more body flex - as if we'd notice that on a Herald or Vitesse! Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

: Don't forget that the seatbelt anchors on the transmission tunnel go through : the body into the chassis - you won't get the body off unless you remove : them - been there, done that!

Whoops - forgot them. And I've got that particularl T-shirt too!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston