What's an inner tube?

Just an amusing little anecdote. I dropped the Sprite wheels into the local Greasy George to be separated from their tyres preparatory to having them blasted (the wheels not the tyres). Wheels were duly restored to glittering silver, so back they went for the 20-year-old XZXs to be put back on. They had tubes in them for some reason which I have long since forgotten. When pumped up only 2 of the 5 would hold any air. It seems they had given the wheels to the work experience lad to take the tyres off the rims, and he had never heard of inner tubes. Thus he nicked 3 of them in the process. All fine when patched, but the moral is to brief your people carefully when you take in anything not made in the last 10 years. Easy to spot if there's a tube from the type of valve.

Reply to
Les Rose

Yeah the usual story....I'm lucky in my local fast fit place is pretty decent with old stuff.

ahh I had some 27year old ZX's on mine. After 70 odd thousand miles the rears still had 5mil of tread left! Since I use the car regularly I thought I'd change them in the interests of safety....

Reply to
jb