Re: Starting problems on '78 Mustang

The problem I'm having is that I turn the key but the starter motor doesn't

>seem to engage for very long (from the sound of it). I don't think it's a >battery problem as sometimes it's fine and other times it takes ages to get >started. When it's not working I'll turn the key and it will sound normal >(trying to start) for around one or two seconds then make a whining running >down sound as if the starters's disengaged. Usually it will catch after 3 or >4 times of doing this but sometimes it can take an age. Other times it'll >start almost first time. Does this sound like a faulty starter motor? I've >found a second hand one for £20 and might have a go fitting it myself, I >fitted one on my Pug 405 without too many problems. Is this a good idea? ;-) > >Cheers, >Dan > >

Have you checked the starter solenoid??

Reply to
K Factor

sounds like the "bendix" otherwise known as the starter drive . there is a spring that locks in the counter-clockwise position that is wearing out and eventually all it will do is spin,therefore fail to engage the flywheel.A fairly good engineer can replace the drive and replace brushes . a bad solenoid in 99% of the cases will merely fail to engage at all. good luck Jo

Reply to
Jo Hale