Remote engine starter switch

I?ve just bought a Snap On MT 302A Remote Starter Switch so that I can start the car from the engine bay. (basically a heavy duty push switch with a lead & 2 crocodile clamps at the end). I thought it would be useful when doing a compression checks etc, and since it was cheap, at a car boot sale i thought it may come in useful sometime (if not I'll put it on eBay)

There?s no instructions, so is it just a matter of connecting it across the terminals of the starter (in parallel), making sure the cars in neutral, turn the key so the ignition is on (red light lights up on dash) then pressing the button briefly so that the car starts? Any other precautions I should take? Cars a '91 Golf Gti BTW Thanks for any input

Mike

Reply to
mike roberts

I've got a home made one, so I can only say how I use mine. I clip one lead to the battery, and the other to the starter solenoid, so it can be used with the ignition off. It's useful as you say for compression checks, or turning the engine to nearly there with the plugs out when setting initial static timing - useful on an auto where you'd otherwise have to use a spanner on the crank for the whole job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Don't go near the starter itself ! Connect one lead to the _small_ solenoid terminal and the other to the battery feed (which is available from the big cable going to the big terminal on the solenoid. Stay well away from the other big terminal, connected to the motor.

If instead you connect it across the solenoid (the two big teminals) then you will feed almost the whole battery voltage across the switch and leads. The starter won't turn (it might clunk a little) and while you're wondering why it's not working, the leads will melt their insulation and start arcing to the engine/bodywork they're lying on top of.

This is why you shouldn't lend your tools to idiots 8-(

Except of course for people who borrow your soft mallet to unstick Landrover door tops without having removed the glass first. That's just funny. 8-)

Andy Dingley

NO on no account connect this way it will cause the switch and its wiring to burn out possibly causing fire.

It connects between the main cable from the battery and solenoid coil termminal on the starter solenoid, not easy to connect to on some starters.

TAKE EXTREME CARE USING THIS TOOL -- I consider them too dangerous for general use.

Reply to
AWM

Mine has only one croc clip, and the other replaced by a spade terminal. Easier to use, and more idiot proof.

Andy Dingley

On the Fiat 126 which has a near-inaccessible starter (unless you get under the car) I fitted an extension wire to the solenoid terminal for this purpose. Insulated at the end of course!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Doesn't the 126 just have a big hole in the side, where you put the key ? 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You wouldn't be trying to wind him up would you? ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

Mike

Reply to
mike roberts