Remote engine starter switch

I?ve just bought a Snap On MT 302A Remote Starter Switch so that I can start the car from the engine bay. (basically a heavy duty push switch with a lead & 2 crocodile clamps at the end). I thought it would be useful when doing a compression checks etc

There?s no instructions, so is it just a matter of connecting it across the terminals of the starter (in parallel), making sure the cars in neutral, turn the key so the ignition is on (red light lights up on dash) then pressing the button briefly so that the car starts? Any other precautions I should take? Cars a '91 Golf Gti BTW Thanks for any input

Mike

Reply to
mike roberts

Don't know how big a switch it is, but I think you'll need to connect it in such a way that it operates the solenoid. On a pre engaged starter motor, as most have been for yonks, you'll just spin the starter motor (and matbe melt the switch). The solenoid engages the pinion of the starter motor to the engine and then whin the motor turns the engine turns also.

If your checking compression you won't want the ignition on......

Peter

Reply to
ph12

Anytime I've checked compressions it was a case of removing all the plugs and screwing the tester in to each plughole in turn,flooring the throttle and turning the engine over and noting the reading , Stuart

---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me

Reply to
Stuart

To use a remote switch on a preengaged starter:

Connect one crocodile clip to live (either the battery end or where the battery lead meets the starter solenoid(the small lump on the starter motor)) Connect the other croc to the small lead on the starter solenoid If there are more than one small lead then you will have to try each to decide which you need (you won't harm anything if you get the wrong one first)

Do not connect the two crocs across the large connectors of the starter solenoid

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated

Mike

Reply to
mike roberts