Rover SD1 Vitesse fuel pump.

Need a new fuel pump for my '85 SD1 Vitesse. Rimmer Bros want £132.19 inc VAT, ex postage so about £142.00 total.

Looks like I can get a suitable pump from:-

£94.88 inc VAT & postage. A saving of around £48.00. I've never dealt with the Co before, but is there any reason why I shouldn't buy from them? Poor reputation, quality of products etc? TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I got a brand new one off Ebay for 30 quid - they do crop up. IIRC, used on quite a few different cars as well. Jaguar for one.

Not used them, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many thanks for the tip Dave. You saved me £73.48. Dunno why but I just didn't think of looking on eBay for a new one. When I did, I found a brand new one for £21.40 inc postage. I was all prepared to phone onlineautomotive tomorrow to order one at £94.88. Thanks again. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Excellent.

The one I got wasn't a direct replacement - the terminals were different. Had to alter the mounting slightly as the sound insulating cover was different. But both easy jobs.

One other thing - make sure the feed cable is well secured and routed properly. It's just about the lowest thing on the car - and years ago on mine got ripped out when crossing hard packed rutted snow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one I've bought has the same Part No, AUU1649, as the OE one listed by Rimmer Bros, so I assume it'll be a straight swap.

I still can't get over the difference in price. £21.40 compared to about £142 from Rimmers allowing for postage.

Thanks for the tip. Presumably though, being the same as the OE one it should be OK if the wires are routed the same.

If you'd like a spare pump for the same price as I paid, let me know, as I actually bought three. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Rimmers tend to price what they think the market can stand - fair enough when they carry so much 'dead' stock. But it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of others selling what Rimmer consider hard to get parts at knock down prices. That low price suggests unloading hard to shift parts just for the cash flow. It's certainly not an economic price.

Well mine was original when it happened - or rather *I'd* not been near it and it had a full BL service history when I bought it. Perhaps that was the problem. ;-) You should have seen some of the wiring done by a BL main agent...

That's very kind. I do have a couple of spares, though. What I've never sorted out is an input filter for the pump - the one in the tank has disintegrated. And inline 1/2" low pressure types seem to cost a fortune.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Talking to people in shows I've been surprised a few times to find that they buy everything from Rimmers, assuming they're the only supplier for their car. At least a couple of those had Heralds, so would have been spoilt for choice too. I can see how they might have missed Anglian Triumph of Canley Classics, for example, but TD Fitchett advertises just as widely as Rimmers and are invariably a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

To this list I would add EarlPart

Jim