Finally got round to looking at my 306 heater problem

Lucky you.

The Passat decided yesterday to set its alarm off a couple of times for no reason... which given the heavy rain we've had recently and the fact it was left parked nose upwards on a bit of a slope for a couple of days rang some alarm bells of another nature.

A feel of the carpets on the passenger side and a peek just where the wipers sit under the windscreen confirmed what I suspected - the usual Passat foible of the drainage points under the battery / pollen filter have become clogged with sludge and water has then got into the car via the pollen filter box.

This has then soaked the 'body computer' under the front passenger seat.

So this morning I decided I'd unclog the drainage points myself and lift the carpets to dry everything out.

However... the car then decided to involuntarily lock itself twice this morning and the temperature gauge had packed up, leading me to believe the 'body computer' is going to need replacing rather than being able to get away with just a quick clean of the multiplug going into it, the other usual fix if not much damp has managed to work its way under the carpet.

So anyway, I've dropped the car back to the dealer I bought it from as it has warranty til next February, as unless purely a case of damp causing bad earths in the multiplug connections to the box in question it's apparently around =A3400 for a replacement box.

Lucky (2) I have a company Astra at my disposal as well, eh...

(2) No really - it's a 1.7CDTI 100PS. Not quite a devastatingly quick cross country weapon, but its very capable and good fun on fast back road hoonery sessions thanks to the decent chassis and brakes. A bit plasticky inside, but I quite like it really. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Reply to
jackhackettuk

The pollen filter holes on the resident PayneHQ Passat were clear but the carpets were soaking and the body computer did some interesting things with the windows and the locking [1] and sometimes the dash dials.

Turned out the seal round the panel on the inside of both rear doors was rotten. Bathroom silicone fixed it, but I think ours is a good bit older than yours.

[1] Thankfully, it seems not many people are willing to f*ck with an unlocked car with the windows open, even in the middle of Glasgow.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oh yeah, the moral of the story was that the body computer seems to be fine.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Interesting... only they had the nearside rear door in bits just after I got it to sort out the speaker connections which had corroded and knocked out the speaker.

I'll mention it to them on Monday - my money is still on the area under the windscreen being the cause as it looked really wet when I checked it this morning.

Heh

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Our 02 A6 let its windows down overnight once. Wasn't raining luckily

Chet

Reply to
Chet